Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got any tips? I should be outside on the dock wearing my Pro-tec helmet as I look like I should be licking windows :laughing:

·
Registered
39,918 Posts
I don't get the gun reference?

Maybe this should be moved to chitchat
This is the outdoor forum, not just a gun forum. :laughing:

Doc, I dunno how to explain it, I just know how to do it. You hold one piece of the bottom ring in your left hand (if you're right handed), grab another part of the bottom ring with your right hand, let the rest hang on the ground, then twirl it and let go. It's not rocket surgery! :laughing: Just keep trying. Once you find out the right places to grab the net, it'll be easy. Unless you're chunking a fuckin' 15 footer, or something huge like that. Those are a bitch, unless you've got the arm strength of a professional cast net caster! :D

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't get the gun reference?

Maybe this should be moved to chitchat
I can't shoot it from a gun :flipoff2:

This is the outdoor forum, not just a gun forum. :laughing:

Doc, I dunno how to explain it, I just know how to do it. You hold one piece of the bottom ring in your left hand (if you're right handed), grab another part of the bottom ring with your right hand, let the rest hang on the ground, then twirl it and let go. It's not rocket surgery! :laughing: Just keep trying. Once you find out the right places to grab the net, it'll be easy. Unless you're chunking a fuckin' 15 footer, or something huge like that. Those are a bitch, unless you've got the arm strength of a professional cast net caster! :D
I am going to practice in the yard :laughing: i would throw and it would look like a croissant. Its only a 6'

·
Registered
39,918 Posts
When you grab it with your left hand, let the rest fall on the ground. Then, with your right hand, grab the bottom ring as far away from your left hand as possible. When you've got it, the net should be almost tight between your hands, with about 90% or more of it kind of hanging/touching the ground. Then twist towards the right, twirl your body/arms towards the left, and release. Really, it's not hard once you figure it out. Kinda like using a lariat. :D

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you grab it with your left hand, let the rest fall on the ground. Then, with your right hand, grab the bottom ring as far away from your left hand as possible. When you've got it, the net should be almost tight between your hands, with about 90% or more of it kind of hanging/touching the ground. Then twist towards the right, twirl your body/arms towards the left, and release. Really, it's not hard once you figure it out. Kinda like using a lariat. :D
you know that is NOTHING like what the directions say :laughing::flipoff2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Is it a cast net or a braille net? Difference being the braille net has braille lines running from the handline through the horn (ring) at the top of the netting and down to the bottom.

Big difference in how you throw them.

My grandfather made all of my nets by hand and I spent many hours in the backyard as a kid catching "fish sticks" :laughing: I never saw water with a net in my hands until I could throw perfect circles in the yard.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
I've always done it like Diesel...Except I kept the part between my hands in my mouth until I released the net so that it would spin right and land completely open. And doc, I can't really see you not looking like an idiot while throwing a cast net IN THE YARD. :laughing: :flipoff2:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
still sucking :laughing:

·
Registered
771 Posts
There's your problem...following printed directions.:flipoff2:

Here's the way I throw...

Coil the throwline in your off hand until you reach the netting and then one more coil in your off hand of netting. Pick up a piece of the bottom line with the weights (mine all have continuous chain instead of lead weights) and put it between your teeth (no, I'm not kidding). Gather about a third of the netting and sling it over your off side forearm. Another third is held in your dominant hand with the opening of the net facing you. The remaining third dangles between your two hands directly in front of you.

In one fluid motion, twist at the waist while moving your arms back like you're gonna throw a bucket of water on someone. When you come forward, your leading (dominant) hand releases first when it's directly in front of you and follows through. Open your mouth to let the bottom line/weights fly free, and follow through with your off hand letting go of everything in it.

In the end you should look like you're being "healed" on some multi-million $$$ televangelist production with your arms outstretched in a V. :laughing: The net should fly out directly in front of you.

I know all that sounds confusing as shit but it's easier done than said.:p

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easy. Quit being a retard. :smokin:
once I get this cast net down pat I am working on my trident use and comming after you :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I've always done it like Diesel...Except I kept the part between my hands in my mouth until I released the net so that it would spin right and land completely open. And doc, I can't really see you not looking like an idiot while throwing a cast net IN THE YARD. :laughing: :flipoff2:
This is the right way... I learned to throw this way from an old fisherman I met out in the backwaters one afternoon.

·
Registered
39,918 Posts
That's your problem. You expected the directions to be correct when they're written by the same 9 year old non English speaking kid who built the thing! :laughing: I learned from my Grandpa, I ain't never had no book learnin' about cast nets! :laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts