Spare Tire on Trails

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Tore a valve stem off on a snow run and didn't have spare seems (dumb). Tore a valve seem off just past the granite bowl and ruined the spare valve stem putting it in (dumber). Bias Rockers on both.

Tore up a rim /tire just past the top of Cadillac hillike and needed the spare. Bias TSL

Two beads between wh4 and wh5. Reseatted one, spare for the other. Bias Rockers.

Taco'd a rim in Gatekeeper, used spare for highway run home. Toyo

All said, *needed" a spare twice, I drive like shit and need more air in my tires.
Thank you for listing the trail/section. very important to know.
Other than the abbreviations/slang, (not sure how many others understand it, but this is Pirate .
This is Great info!

I should change the Poll so it is for Rubicon and Fordyce only.

Very Surprised of the Poll Tie of needing a Spare but now its a mystery how many are from not around here or doing very severe trails or beat on there rig.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Luckily I have only needed the spare once so far. Made it all the way through the rubicon one trip and ran over some debris on the road heading back down to 50. Glad i had the spare cause we were a long way from the trailer at the loon side.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I always have a spare but I am only running 33's. The spare is an old 32. I have never needed it in 21+ years.
I do carry valve stems and a plug kit and I have onboard air. I think I have lost 2 valve stems and popped a bead once.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Very Surprised of the Poll Tie of needing a Spare but now its a mystery how many are from not around here or doing very severe trails or beat on there rig.
well, to be fair, if you aren't doing severe trails or beating on your rig and you have reasonably decent tires, you shouldn't really need spare parts ever. kind of like how modern commuter cars don't use spares anymore and just a fix a flat kit.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've only needed a spare twice in my 10+ years of wheeling. One was on the con. If I had bead locks I would carry a tube I suppose.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I live near Tulsa, wheel mostly at Disney. I've also driven the truck to Moab to wheel and most recently drove it to the Rubicon and ran it. Locally I never have a spare in it, but when I take off across the country I always have one. The last time I had to put a spare on it was late 1991....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I carry a spare when i run through the desert at low speed stuff. Lots of nails and shit from people burning pallets. I suppose its easier just to bring a patch and compressor and maybe some starting fluid but i like a spare

·
HOG JOCKEY
1,423 Posts
I run 39 reds. carry a spare on the jeep at rubicon, dusey, moab and other longer trails only as a courtesy to my fellow wheelers. I have onboard air, plugs, stainless tiewire, etc for my local Johnson valley, Stoddard wells superstition mts etc so don't carry a spare on the trailer. I do carry one in the trailer. has worked many years for me. have driven out of riffle canyon in johnson valley with a gashed 40 inch maxxis sticky with over 20 plugs in it once. jeeps don't like a 39 inch tire with a steel beadloc hanging off the back going up steep water falls...........makes the front end really light, even when sucked down. just my 2 cents.

·
P.B.A.
4,343 Posts
Alright bumping this. Headed to Fordyce and rubicon I’m running 40” mtrs on beadlocks compressor plugs and bailing wire. I have a spare that leave on the trailer needed it once. Do I figure out how to carry with me? It’s a heavy bitch. Or just leave it back at the trailer? And is it safe too leave a tire chained up at trail head?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I don't carry a spare tire, but I have pinched the tire from running to low air pressure a few times. I do carry plugs, boots, and fresh Monkey Grip glue. Old glue evaporates. You will need a roller to install the boot properly, Napa auto parts has everything.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On the buggy a Spare is at the trailer, 13 years on the rubicon and fordyce and no flats. Still carry a good plug kit, valve stems, and a compressor though.

on the Jk, i carry a spare but have never needed it. probably gonna ditch in soon as i live very close to rubicon and fordyce. Most of the snow wheeling i do it about 5 miles from my house. :smokin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
yes, I carry a spare....needed it once. also have compressor, valve stems, and plug kit. long time ago a buddy ripped two sidewalls on Fordyce, if it wasn't for both our spares... he'd aben up shit creek....

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
Got H1s so I carry a tube which I can shove in there , bolt it back together. And fill 'er up.

( stopped carrying a spare 20+ yrs ago? )

·
Premium Member
82 cj7 ford5.0 t18 atlas2 dana60 front 14 bolt rear Mastercraft seats full cage rockers armor winch
790 Posts
Got H1s so I carry a tube which I can shove in there , bolt it back together. And fill 'er up.

( stopped carrying a spare 20+ yrs ago? )

That's a good idea, I'm also running H1's so I might have to do the same, but how do you deal with the valve stem ? Will a tube stem line up in the right place with the hole ?
I'm also running H1's on my trailer and the ones on my trailer have rubber run flats in them so if I get a flat on my jeep I can swap a good tire from my trailer and put the flat tire on my trailer with the runflat insert so I can drag it home.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Leave on the trailer or truck, you're never that far. Hope you're not headed there now, haven't checked the snow level but I know it's lots

Alright bumping this. Headed to Fordyce and rubicon I’m running 40” mtrs on beadlocks compressor plugs and bailing wire. I have a spare that leave on the trailer needed it once. Do I figure out how to carry with me? It’s a heavy bitch. Or just leave it back at the trailer? And is it safe too leave a tire chained up at trail head?

·
P.B.A.
4,343 Posts
Leave on the trailer or truck, you're never that far. Hope you're not headed there now, haven't checked the snow level but I know it's lots
No!! June I’m headed there. But I need to work on my storage solutions. I’ve never camped out of my rig. Going to get a tube to carry too. Great idea.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
It's easy, and even Summit Racing is only an hour away.

Leave heavy spare parts in your tow rig, bring stuff to fix drivelines, etc.

2 exits from the trail, you're never that far from parking, at either staging area.

No!! June I’m headed there. But I need to work on my storage solutions. I’ve never camped out of my rig. Going to get a tube to carry too. Great idea.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts