Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dropping a 4.7L Stroker (258cui crank, .06 overbore) into my Eagle and I am debating on how to run the engine. I got the 4.0 as a core and rebuilt it (my first rebuild, might explode), but I didn't get any of the Chrysler EFI parts. No intake, throttle body, fuel rail, nothing. This was fine at the time as I was going to run a carb with the 258 intake. But I am interested in the EFI kits available out there. I do have the the money so that is not an issue.

I basically have a few options

Run the 258 Intake and a Carb.
Run the 258 Intake and a FiTech EFI
Run the 258 Intake and the Jeep Sniper EFI kit
Track down all the parts for the OEM EFI system

What would be the better option? Carb would be the cheapest and simplest, and the Sniper Kit is the most expensive. Also I need to do a Fuel pump circuit, which the EFI kits have stock. The car is a pavement princess. Using a Microsquirt would likely be a good idea instead of the early 90s computer if I get the Chrysler parts, but I'd be able to run the HO intake. I also live in a colder area, so cold starts will be an issue, but I installed a block heater due to the fact we get those arctic blasts almost every year and it can dip to -50 Freedom Units with the windchill.

I'm trying not to make a stupid decision, that's why I cant decide.

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Carbs can work amazingly well if you don’t have to smog check it with stupid California laws. Sniper efi is expensive but a dumb ass like me was able to instal it and get it running and keep it running. Stupid simple to set up and has been dead on reliable for 2 years so far. I had efi tech on another truck of mine. Only issue I had was the connection to the dash. It was a headphone jack style and gave me troubles from time to time. Factory efi would be ideal in my book if you could find a complete Donor to get it all out of at one time. Gl!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carbs can work amazingly well if you don’t have to smog check it with stupid California laws. Sniper efi is expensive but a dumb ass like me was able to instal it and get it running and keep it running. Stupid simple to set up and has been dead on reliable for 2 years so far. I had efi tech on another truck of mine. Only issue I had was the connection to the dash. It was a headphone jack style and gave me troubles from time to time. Factory efi would be ideal in my book if you could find a complete Donor to get it all out of at one time. Gl!
I have no emissions testing here in Michigan. They don't even do safety inspections.

· Registered
378 Posts
I wouldn't try running a stroker off a stock ECU. Early 90s shit even less. It'd be okay at idle and low rpm maybe. But under load in the upper ranges it'd likely lean out and blow shit. Lack of adjustability in those systems. Also...chips. fuck chips. Spend cash on a Squirt setup. Or a sniper kit( I've never used one) I've had good success with Haltech and link aftermarket ECUs,$$ and a learning curve on tuning them.
Carbs are cheaper. But they also lack adjustability. So ...high /low elevation ...winter/ summer starting ....blah.....jetting all the time sucks. Playing with timing to get it to start sucks.....

· Registered
954 Posts
A 50 psi fuel pressure regulator will take care of the extra fuel needed for Mopar EFI on a stroker. The regulators are used in Chrysler cars and mini-vans and are gold in color vs silver for the 40 psi Jeep regulator. Alternately, you can run larger fuel injectors.

If you are running the 4.0l head, the 4.2 intake manifold won't match the intake ports all that well.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't try running a stroker off a stock ECU. Early 90s shit even less. It'd be okay at idle and low rpm maybe. But under load in the upper ranges it'd likely lean out and blow shit. Lack of adjustability in those systems. Also...chips. fuck chips. Spend cash on a Squirt setup. Or a sniper kit( I've never used one) I've had good success with Haltech and link aftermarket ECUs,$$ and a learning curve on tuning them.
Carbs are cheaper. But they also lack adjustability. So ...high /low elevation ...winter/ summer starting ....blah.....jetting all the time sucks. Playing with timing to get it to start sucks.....
I've fixed enough computers/games to know early 90s electronics, especially ones designed to meet a price should not be relied upon. The early to mid 90s was dead middle in the capacitor plague, a time when capacitor manufacturing was garbage, even good brands were questionable.

If I did get the stock Chrysler system, I would use a megasquirt or speedduino ECU

· Registered
79 Posts
What cylinder head is on it?

Don't even think of running the shitty chocked off 258 intake and carb on it.

Put an obd2 intake on it and whatever injection you decide on. Or if you insist on full retard put a clifford intake and tiny 4 barrel on it.

Carb done well won't be cheaper than mopar injection

1 - 11 of 11 Posts