Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1980 GMC Sierra Classic. I got the new 350 and tricked it out. Got a new TH350 tranny too. Traded my old 12bolt 3.08 gear rear and 10 bolt 3.08 front for my friends 10 bolt 3.73 rear and front from his busted ass '83 Blazer. Now I got some money and it's time to upgrade. What will be an easy swap for me as far as axles go?? Meaning not welding/fabricating, just a straight bolt on?? I can't do fabricating since it's a daily driver now I don't feel like it so much. I want some macho ass axles that I can find at a junk yard hopefully and re-build. Disc/drum barkes don't worry me and emergency brakes are for pussys, all I need is for the springs to mount good and if I need to get another custom driveshaft thats only 70 bucks. So do your job guys and help me out. Please. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Price range is up to 300 per axle.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
find a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup truck with 4.10 gears. this will give you a strong, bulletproof corporate 14 bolt that will bolt into your k5. the front will be either a 44 or a corp 10 bolt. they're both about the same strength. this is a direct bolt in and shouldn't take more than a saturday to do.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I agree. You should be able to come up with a set of 3/4 ton axles for a good deal if you shop around some. If you can spring for the cash, consider throwing a Detroit in the 14 bolt rear. They are about $300 and worth every penny and are very easy to install.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Check around. Sometimes you can pick up the whole truck for next to nothing. Stick w/ a 3/4 ton rear. Ton rear will need perches moved. Cheap to convert to disk brakes, too.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Either way, go 14 bolt in the rear. This way it's the last time you will have to worry about the rear axle. 14 bolts go all day for under $100 at the PNS. I would try and find a 44 instead of the 10 bolt.. You can get parts out the a$$ for them and they are cheap to repair...or go 60 front :D .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires

I'm running 36X12.5 SS TSL Radials but might upgrade to 38's or 39's w/ a 2" body lift to keep up with my friends tire sizes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts