Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'79 F-350 , how do I upgrade to 35 spline outers?

Thinking about going this route ('79 f350 F&R d60s) over buying axles from a place like Dynatrac. So what all is involved in fitting 35 spline outters? I will be using all new shafts from Spicer or Mouser.

Are there any known low points to these axles or are these about as good as it gets from the factory? I should be able to run 37s w/ hard trail use without worrying correct?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Get them, install them and drive the crap out of them. You will be happy about the ton of money you save over going to Dynatrac.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You want to run 37's? and you want to know if they will hold up? Naw, there crap, you need rockwells for that size tire. I'll come take it off your hands, and you can start looking for a set rockwells. :flipoff2: LOL
Of course it will do fine. It can handle a lot more. And as far as any parts you need or upgrading the outers to 35 spline, check out Steve Gerstner at www.differentialeng.com He can get you whatever you need, and tell you how to upgrade to 35 spline outers a lot cheaper than the dynatrac shafts.

Winston

·
Registered
127 Posts
Open or locked? Ran mine open for 2 years no problem,first time out with detroit broke stub axle(small one),switched to 35 spline outers and have broken the ears off yokes a couple times,pinion sheared off once,3 drivers side steering knuckles.Pretty tough overall.Running 40 Hawgs on 7500 pound truck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PTO DAVE said:
Open or locked? Ran mine open for 2 years no problem,first time out with detroit broke stub axle(small one),switched to 35 spline outers and have broken the ears off yokes a couple times,pinion sheared off once,3 drivers side steering knuckles.Pretty tough overall.Running 40 Hawgs on 7500 pound truck.
Locked, 37s, and 3000 pound Jeep :flipoff2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts