Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coil SAS front end q's?

How thick of wall tubing are people using for multilinks or a radius arm setup for coils? Then the next question is do I run heim joints or should I run poly bushing sleeves?
I have some fabrication skills not alot but I have access to the stuff I need to make this stuff myself. I need some input from people that have done like coils and coilover sas.
What type of setup is going to give me a decent offroad ride and ok the road as well? Lots of pics would help because I have no friggen clue where to start?
I was thinking of using XJ coils to SAS it but my buddy Damien suggested to go with coilovers instead the only issue I have with that is they cost a crapload of dough.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If you want unbendable links they should probably be .5" wall, but even that will bend eventually. It doesn't take very much to bend .250" wall. OD is also a factor, the bigger the OD the less likely to bend.

Heim vs. bushings, both will work but heims will allow for more misalignment. If you are going to run bent links for clearance or mount your shocks to the links, then bushings work to keep the links inline.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If I was to link up mine I would probly go with.....

1 3/4" 1/2" wall for the lowers
1 1/2" .120 wall for the uppers
4 1 1/4" heims (probly at the chassis end)
4 poly bushings(at the axle end)

Radius arm type can be made to work but most don't desire them. They seem to have a few traits that a double triangulated 4 link will eliminate or lessen drastically. Although they are very simple in design and easier to build for a beginner. If you build a radius design and have it set up so you can lock out both arms it should handle pretty good on the highway. A 4 link though,as long as you have the geometry right,it should handle good. This is just my opinion from what I've seen on a few rigs around my house and read about here. Someday I'd like to link mine up,for now though the All Pro springs work good enough.

There is though enough tech,here on Pirate,about link suspention alone to read until your eyes bleed. I'd suggest to get you a cooler full of drinks,strap yourself in the computer chair and hit it wide open. Figure out excatally what you want,theeeeeen go build it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts