Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 saturn failed smog because the 15 MPH test yielded to much hydrocarbons(unburned fuel). I ran a compression test and one of the cylinders is 40 psi lower than the other 3. I put a tablespoon or 2 of motor oil on the sparkplug hole and retested and the psi went up. So I know the rings or cylinder or both are worn. The smog showed the test was a fail by a small margin.
I have been told that a new cat converter will help and a tune up will help also. Does anybody have any other tricks that will help to pass smog.:evil:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
go to the auto parts store and buy a can of Fuel Catalysts "Guaranteed To Pass" or "Pass Smog Now", also make sure the car is good and hot when you go to take the test, also I always try to go to a pass or dont pay place as they are more likely to play with the car a little to make it pass,

·
Registered
338 Posts
Go to napa auto parts and get some sea foam, either add it down the brake booster or run it through a tank of gas, also add some when you take it to smog. helps greatly with hc's, always works for me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
4 ozs of acetone made a huge difference for me. Available at homedepot.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
What were the other readings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts