Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1496 Posts

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the beginning instalment on how to build an AK 47 or one of its many variants at home mind you EVERYTHING here is BATF legal but your actual legality may vary from state to state ,so do you fawking homework before building :D
This is the edited version of the "original" how to build an AK" thread. Read the thread before asking as it was most likely covered. This is a kinda old thread so some info may be dated....like prices or availability. All forms of AK building is covered, stamp, milled, rivet, weld, screwed, screwed up.
There are also youtube videos in here as well or search there with my screen name

First you go an find the type and style of AK that you want to build.

I will be building an AMD 65. it is a AK for tankers and armored vehicles so it has a VERY short barrel and rear folding stock.
You can search threw a wide assortment of websites for what is called a "parts kit"
you see will all the gobernment red tape the whole AK cant make it here. The receiver (the body of a weapon) must be cut in 3 diagonal slices,with a gas torch,and must remove at least 1/8inch of material in the cut. basically making it worthless. but if you go and remove all the parts from the rifle and put them aside you can torch the reciever and just have "parts" that are legal for import (for now anyway)
This is basically what a parts kit includes (my handguards an pistol grip are not in the pic)

It will include everything but a receiver. Mind you you just cant add a receiver and be done. legal crap to deal with first. but lets strip the gun for prep.
I will be doing a screwed together build. IE; tap and screw. you can also rivet it back together if you have the tools or even weld it if you trust you plug welds. I will screw it first and if it sucks i will weld it :flipoff2:
First remove the old rivets

the front and rear trunnions (cross members) have rivets.you will want to grind them flush so you can drill in the exact (or close to) center of them.
the rear can be drilled strait threw as there is nothing in the way but the front 4 MUST be stop checked so you dont drill into the barrel :eek:
all the AK forums i wet to had these annoying drill/check/drill/check methods that sucked. i just put the trunnion in the vice,made it level, set my stop to what the barrel depth is (you can see the chamber sticking out in front of the trunnion) and then drilled my pilot holes and then larger.
The old holes are PERFECT to tap to 10-32. but you can run the correct drill size before just to be sure
Tap the trunnions. i had a regular 10-32 tap and a bottoming one ($5 at grainger) the bottoming ones are used in the front 4 holes (obviously)

the guys on the AK forums bitched of breaking taps :confused: umm use some fucking tap lube,clear the chips or something :shaking:
and here are the screws in place

You can order sets of screws already the right size (www.gunbroker.com) or grind some and then get the correct size.
size WILL vary depending on the receiver you use

Attachments

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok next step is to make you AK variant BATF legal :D
by ATF rules you can not have more than 10 imported parts in your "evil black guns" an AK when it left the factory had from 14-16 "parts by definition" in it
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or
stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolts
(6) Bolt carriers
(7) Gas pistons
(8) Triggers
(9) Hammers
(10) Disconnectors
(11) Buttstocks
(12) Pistol grips
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Followers
(16) Floorplates

A milled rifle without a muzzle brake has 14 parts because it doesn't have a trunnion. The part that serves that purpose is built in to the receiver.

With a muzzle brake makes 15.

A stamped rifle without a muzzle brake has 15 parts. Pesky trunnion.

With a brake 16.

so if you replace 5 or 6 parts you end up with a "legal" US weapon :evil:
so i will be replacing the pistol grip and foregrip

trigger group (or fire control modual)

also the gas tube. but in order to remove the gas tube you must remove the pin that is holding it. find it and drill or knock it out. go and find a drill bit exactly the same size. slide it on the bit in your press and vice it so the drill bit is inline with both holes. screw the new gas piston in leaving a little gap (same as the old one) and cross drill it. then pin it back in place.

also an ADM 65 is NOT LEGAL in its current barrel length of 12.5 inches. so you must extend it to 16 inches. I used a www.tapco.com muzzle brake that does 2 things. first it replaces a part :D and makes it legal length :flipoff2:

and put a tack weld or silver solder it so it wont come off

Attachments

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the next step will be putting all the parts into the reciever. I will cover this when i get my recievers :flipoff2: :laughing:

but here are some options:
a reciever when "finished " is a FFL item and must be transfered by FFL. BUT you can make your own :evil:
the reason being is YOU,YES YOU can make ANY FAWKING WEAPON YOU WANT (as long as its not a short shotgun/rifle or fully auto fo the most part)

as long as you dont sell it or get rid of it :D

there are many companys out there that sell "80%" finished recievers or "reciever flats" these are great if you plan on making a shitload because you will need a pressing die to bend them up. great if you and a bunch of your friends want AK's
Next option is "lazer cut flats" these are pre-scored and easy to fold (the reciever is realy just a fawkin box) and you weld the edges after you fold it.
with eather of these you will want to heat treat all the holes/extractor/stuff when done.

not hard AT ALL ...but i am fawking lazy :flipoff2:

I am waiting for my FFL info to get back to me so i can send the check.

being as an ohio ordanance reciever is only $59 i cant argue :p
i will cover the finish from there once it comes in and now will answer questions :laughing:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deke said:
can you get sick more often?
no, now fawk off :laughing: :flipoff2: this is what happens when you are to sick to sleep

Mo said:
you gonna do one of these for an AR?
no. an AR variant is a little more of a bitch to finish a reciever "in the white" or 80% done. i dont have a milling machine so if i did an AR i would buy a reciever

indulf said:
great post! how about a tally of how much coin you have in it so far?
i will round up to whole dollars
AMD 65 parts kit $70
us made grip $20 (you can get others for like $6)
us made forend $20 (you can use other ones also or just replace the pistol grip on an AMD65 with another US made pistol grip)
fire control group $30
gas piston $20
muzzle brake $20
screws taps and drill bits $15
reciever $60

so for around $255 i can build a US legal AMD65 that is tuned and made EXACTLY how i want it :D

you an actualy do a "regular" AK for less and even less more if you frequent gun shows

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Al Kaholick said:
anyone know if the building it yourself makes it legal in Kali?
you can have any weapon purchaced or made as long as it doesnt violate CA's anal retentive codes
so no folding stock,high cap mags, pistol grip (i think) must be pink or orange in color and have child safty warnings in green letters on the side :laughing:
mine is built off national rules and maryland rules (hence you WILL NOT SEE any mags with a capacity greater than 20 rounds in any of my pics)

check your local laws, google is your friend

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
whered you find the parts kit for $70?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sceep said:
www.centerfiresystems.com

i believe they may be sold out. i got a killer deal as they fawked up on my order and made it up by "hand picking" 2 kits for me.
by having an order hand picked you usualy get a better finish (doesnt realy matter if you are refinishing the weapon) the gas block and sight will be strait instead of slightly off axis from shipping/abuse (not a hard fix to do but it is still extra work)
www.cheaperthandirt.com still had some AMD65 kits i believe.

search "ak parts kit" in google and you will get a bunch of hits

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Can some kind soul answer some newbie questions?

...err what is the point of all this?

I mean I thought the whole point of an AK being so cool, was that it could go full auto at the flip of a switch.

So I don't quite understand all this effort and "letter of the law" circumnavigation to build an AK that is going to be hideously illegal if it's made into a switchable machine gun.

If it's mearly just built to have a "legal" rifle, based on getting around laws meant to prevent them from being sold to people who want machine guns, and you *aren't* going to make it a fully automatic gun????

:confused:

Are AK's just so good that all this effort is worth it for a rifle?

Don't get me wrong, I like machine guns :D I just don't quite follow the reasoning, that's all.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UZI 9mm said:
Can some kind soul answer some newbie questions?

...err what is the point of all this?

I mean I thought the whole point of an AK being so cool, was that it could go full auto at the flip of a switch. no, i am NOT building a full auto weapon

So I don't quite understand all this effort and "letter of the law" circumnavigation to build an AK that is going to be hideously illegal if it's made into a switchable machine gun.actualy if you want a full auto you just have to apply for one and pay the tax stamp

If it's mearly just built to have a "legal" rifle, based on getting around laws meant to prevent them from being sold to people who want machine guns, and you *aren't* going to make it a fully automatic gun????no, i want an AK and the ones that are fully built are eather overpriced or crap :flipoff2:

:confused:

Are AK's just so good that all this effort is worth it for a rifle?

Don't get me wrong, I like machine guns :D I just don't quite follow the reasoning, that's all.
like i said if i wanted a full auto i would just appy and pay the tax stamp but i just wasnt a SEMI-AUTO AK that i can build for less than half of what is wanted,with better parts,better fit and finish (because i control it) and the fact i built the fawker myself :laughing:
and like i said if i built my reciever i would have a completely LEGAL weapon with no one but myself knowing i had it :blackhelocopters:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sceep said:
so far it looks like everyone is sold out :( i still see some people selling them for around that price on www.gunbroker.com and also the for sale forum on the ak forums on www.gunsnet.net.

check to see when the next gun show is comming by in your area also

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today's update:

Like i said before, in order for these weapons to be BATF legal they MUST have a barrel length of 16inches. The muzzle brake/ barrel extention for these weapons ONLY must be welded or silver soldered in place.

This is not the rule with a traditional AK variant as the barrel length is over 16 inches and you may change the muzzle brake/flash suppressor as you wish when you wish.

Mine are tack welded in place, the weld is deep enuf that it wont crack/move/do shit but i could drill it out later if i need to.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Al Kaholick said:
anyone know if the building it yourself makes it legal in Kali?
No, it doesn't. The California AWB is based on removable magazines, plus any of the evil features, which include pistol grips. If you owned one before 2000, you had to get it registered and then could not transfer in within Cali.
For the most part, building something yourself does not change whether you can legally possess it or not.

California-legal guns can have removeable magazines, but none of the other features, like Mini-14's and M1a's. And magazines are limited to 10 rounds, with the transfer of even pre-bans being illegal.
Or one evil feature with a fixed magazine Like the FAB-10
Or none of those fun things, ex: SKS's and M1 Garands.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
WTF?
Build an AK 47 from parts cut from another one?

Why not just buy an AK-47 complete? I can go to Dougs Shootin' Sports 2 blocks from where I live, plunk down $250 for a german made AK-47...

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
CaverInaCruiser said:
WTF?
Build an AK 47 from parts cut from another one?

Why not just buy an AK-47 complete? I can go to Dougs Shootin' Sports 2 blocks from where I live, plunk down $250 for a german made AK-47...
what reciever is it built on? what US compliance parts are used? what is its model designator? Who built it?

go and TRY to find me an AMD65 for less than $600 or fawk a draganov for less than $800

:::edit:::: the only AK you can get for under $250 is not german made but a romanian Wasr 10 low cap. so if you want to run high cap mags you need to modify the magwell. they dont have a threaded barrel,bayonette lug and usualy a stupid keyhole stock but not always.

they are a nice "starter" ak.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for those of you that would like a nice "starter" AK variant,or have no mechanical skills, or just want to own a POS like everyone elses here is a link for you Atlantic Firearms

mind you it doenst take high cap mags but that can be fixed with a Dremel tool :evil:

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
usmcdoc14 said:
for those of you that would like a nice "starter" AK variant,or have no mechanical skills, or just want to own a POS like everyone elses here is a link for you

mind you it doenst take high cap mags but that can be fixed with a Dremel tool :evil:

One of the main concerns I've seen from the WASR 10s, aside from canted sights and gas tubes, is mag wobble. Since the reciever does not have the "dimples" stamped on either side of the mag well to keep the mags steady. Some people say it's a problem, some don't have that problem at all. Guess it just depends on the rifle...

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update for today while waiting on the recievers:

peep (ghost ring) sights are few and far to choose from for AK's. all the ones i have found are eather too low or way to fawking pricey ...or both :flipoff2:

welcome to the free AK47 peep sight :D I looked on the floor till i found a piece of steel, drilled a small hole in it, ground the old sight blade flat, welded it on. then i drilled it out till i got a hole size that made my eyes happy :p

dremeled it till i was happy with the shape.

Attachments

·
Moderhater
23,444 Posts
hey WTF is this crap i read? is this true? does this mean i now have to buy the barrell additionally?= more money involved? fawk i knew i needed to order this earlier

***BuyNow! $99.97*** NEW ATF RULING! BARRELS CAN NO LONGER BE INCLUDED WITH IMPORTED AK47 PARTS KITS. ***NO MORE KITS CAN BE IMPORTED WITH BARRELS AFTER 9-10-05!*** Romanian GP1975 AK47 Parts Kit-in EXCELLENT CONDITION! These feature Threaded Barrels, front laminated wood pistol grip, original slant muzzle break, bayonet lug, and laminated wood butt stock. DOES NOT INCLUDE RECEIVER! (Receiver is torch cut per ATF specs). Bores are bright and shiny, in Excellent Condition! These spare/replacement parts kits come with all of the parts you see in the pictures. ***NO FFL NEEDED!*** Questions? [email protected] or call Gerry at 208.895.0224 Money orders, certified checks, personal/business checks, COD, and BidPay (www.bidpay.com). Buyer pays $20 s&h to the lower 48 states. Sold as replacement/spare parts only, all NFA rules apply. Please check all federal, state and local laws before bidding. PRICES WILL GO UP SOON! ***BuyNow! $99.97***

link

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=37257968

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Halogrinder said:
hey WTF is this crap i read? is this true? does this mean i now have to buy the barrell additionally?= more money involved? fawk i knew i needed to order this earlier

***BuyNow! $99.97*** NEW ATF RULING! BARRELS CAN NO LONGER BE INCLUDED WITH IMPORTED AK47 PARTS KITS. ***NO MORE KITS CAN BE IMPORTED WITH BARRELS AFTER 9-10-05!*** Romanian GP1975 AK47 Parts Kit-in EXCELLENT CONDITION! These feature Threaded Barrels, front laminated wood pistol grip, original slant muzzle break, bayonet lug, and laminated wood butt stock. DOES NOT INCLUDE RECEIVER! (Receiver is torch cut per ATF specs). Bores are bright and shiny, in Excellent Condition! These spare/replacement parts kits come with all of the parts you see in the pictures. ***NO FFL NEEDED!*** Questions? [email protected] or call Gerry at 208.895.0224 Money orders, certified checks, personal/business checks, COD, and BidPay (www.bidpay.com). Buyer pays $20 s&h to the lower 48 states. Sold as replacement/spare parts only, all NFA rules apply. Please check all federal, state and local laws before bidding. PRICES WILL GO UP SOON! ***BuyNow! $99.97***

link

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=37257968
the ban is on "pause" for now till Dec.

1 - 20 of 1496 Posts