Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt many on here don't know how... but I finally got around to changing the plugs on my fj cruiser and so I did a write up and video. I hope it helps someone who is thinking about doing their own work and a little hesitant. This really is an easy maintenance activity.

how to change spark plugs video

hope you like it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done it twice in my FJ, once at 30K to perform the factory recommended change- I went to the Pulstar plugs. Then at 60K I got rid of the pulstars and went back to a new set of factory plugs because the pulstars sucked. The passenger side is a piece of cake, the driver's side is annoying. I usually get by without ever removing anything aside from the coil packs, but it's a pain on the driver side plug closest to the firewall and the center plug IIRC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Romag I feel ya... you almost have to attain a Kama Sutra position with your rig on the drivers if the connectors are all gunked up and frozen on to the ignition coils. I waited 60K on my change and my plugs showed it :-(

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
A set of Denso or NGK Iridium plugs will allow you to go 90k between spark plug changes. And unlike gimmick plugs, they run great. My DD is an '04 4Runner, and I bought the truck with unchanged plugs at 67k. Swapped 'em the third day I owned it.

At the dealership, a swivel sparkplug socket, 4" of extension, a second swivel, and a longer extension combined is our typical way of buzzing the left rear plug out in 20 seconds with an impact. ;)

It takes me about 5-10 minutes to do all six plugs. But I've probably changed forty sets on the 1GR-FE motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts