Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 yj and have but bigger tires and now my spedometer is incorrect.
i called a speedometer shop here in portland and they told me they could fix it for about two hunders dollars!!! told them no way
is there a cheaper way to fix this or do i just deal with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Originally posted by iamquaker:
<STRONG>i have a 95 yj and have but bigger tires and now my spedometer is incorrect.
i called a speedometer shop here in portland and they told me they could fix it for about two hunders dollars!!! told them no way
is there a cheaper way to fix this or do i just deal with it?</STRONG>
You need to change out the speedo gear to the correct size - very easy. FWIW - this is not really the right forum for this type of question.
You might want to try: http://forums.jeepsunlimited.com

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: AzJeep ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Yeah, there's an easy and cheap way. Figure out how much you're off ( have someone in another vehicle pace you). Then, say your 5mph off, subtract that from how fast you want to run, and drive at that. <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Not cheaper, but a better way to fix it is swap r&p ratios to compensate. Example - tires 20% bigger = gears 10% lower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how is this not the right place for this question? i own a jeep and i have seen every type and style of question on here, so what makes mine so "wrong"???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
I think your question is fine. Anyway the spedo gear in in you t-case and easy to change out. I still have my stock gear and i run 35's. My bro is a physicist and we did the calculation of how fast i am really going. Keep in mind that the faster you go the less accurate the spedometer gets, this is becuase you are multiplying by pie (2.14) I kept my original gear because it is less miles on the engine, or it least it records less. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> My .02 <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Originally posted by iamquaker:
<STRONG>how is this not the right place for this question? i own a jeep and i have seen every type and style of question on here, so what makes mine so "wrong"???</STRONG>
The answer can be found here, refer to it every time before you make a post. <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">

Mission Statement

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: SwampTJ ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Originally posted by Ca_YJ:
<STRONG>I think your question is fine. Anyway the spedo gear in in you t-case and easy to change out. I still have my stock gear and i run 35's. My bro is a physicist and we did the calculation of how fast i am really going. Keep in mind that the faster you go the less accurate the spedometer gets, this is becuase you are multiplying by pie (2.14) I kept my original gear because it is less miles on the engine, or it least it records less. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> My .02 <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
That would be 3.14......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Originally posted by iamquaker:
<STRONG>how is this not the right place for this question? i own a jeep and i have seen every type and style of question on here, so what makes mine so "wrong"???</STRONG>
The reason I (politely) suggested it to you is that JU is much more set up for fundimental beginner questions like your speedo question. No harm in that...we were all beginners once upon a time. Just trying to be helpful for this and future questions you might have.

POR is really more geared to those w/ built Jeeps and those with a lot more mechanical background.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
how big are your new tires? what is your gear ratio? do you have a six of 4 cylinder?If you can answer that, then it is very easy. I might even have your gear sitting around as I've done this a few times and have a couple left over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
Toss the speedo and just go by the tach. That's what I do. <IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i am running the following...
tires = 32x11.50 bfg mud ta's
gears = stock 4.11's
motor = 4 chlinder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I got bigger tires on a toyota i had once and had that problem duh but when i went in to change the setting i messed it more i thought, it was a <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> but it was in a 2000 and the technology was a <IMG SRC="smilies/pissed.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Unless you're going to stay with exactly the same setup and not step up to larger tires or change ring and pinions later, just figure out how far you are off and deal with it. On my YJ, I know I am around 20% off so I drive accordingly. Really simple <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
three letters...GPS. <IMG SRC="smilies/eyemouth.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
heh, you have the same gear ratio as i do except 32 instead of 33 in tires, so th gear would be the one I have in. Check terraflex (801-256-9897)for a conversion chart its something like a 35 tooth gear. you can buy one at the dealership for about $10-$20 and its an easy swap.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top