Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in making sure I'm covered from an insurance perspective, making sure my truck is not over-loaded. I want to make sure I'm within the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) so that if there were to be an accident, my insurance company could not deny coverage on the basis that my vehicle is over-loaded. ***I realize that there is debate about how the GVWR legally applies in addition to axle and tire load ratings. Threads already exist for that debate, so let's keep it out of this thread.***

My 1979 K30 (1-ton 4x4) Chevy crew-cab Single Rear Wheel must have had the doors replaced before I got it. It came from Illinois, so had many panels replaced because of rust, and was repainted. So there is no door tag or sticker stating the GVWR or individual axle ratings.

Is there something in the VIN that tells the GVWR?

If not, how else would an insurance company determine that?

Realistically, I know the truck can handle 10,000 GVWR. D60 front (rated 4-4500 lb), 14-bolt rear (rated at least 6000 lb in SRW), and 3100 lbs rating per tire/wheel. I have a 2WD 77 Chevy dually that has 10,000lb GVWR, and had a 79 4x4 Chevy dually that had 10,000lb GVWR. But I've seen other SRW Chevy trucks rated at only 8800lbs. So I want to see where I'm at legally with this truck (despite how illogical that rating can sometimes be).

Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the owners manual? Alos look in the glove box there should also be a sticker there.
No sticker in the glove box (not surprised that it must have come out over the years). Although I don't think the older GM glovebox stickers show the GVWR - I've got the one from my dad's 76 Chevy 1/2-ton and it doesn't show GVWR.

Don't have the owners manual either, and not sure it would show me the GVWR for this exact truck. For instance, because of different tire options, my 90 Burb door sticker shows a different GVWR than my dad's, even though they are both 1/2-ton 4x4.

I guess what I'm wondering is what would the insurance company be looking at to find the GVWR if it came into question, since the door sticker/tag is missing?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
your insurance company will base your coverage on your VIN number,so there must be a generic number that comes with that year/make/model SRW 1 ton when they type your VIN into their computer.

are you wanting coverage for your truck and its cargo? just the truck? or do you just want to make sure that they will pick up the tab for a liability issue if you cause an accident?

for the truck,if its exceptionally nice,id have it appraised so youre not screwed in case of an accident thats not your fault.

if you typically and frequently haul things in your truck that are of exceptional value,id look into a blanket policy that covers up to X amt of cargo,wich may end up being a comercial policy,i dont know.

if you just want to make sure that your liability is covered,id call your your insurance company and ask them. they can tell you all the info they have on your truck... among wich id think would be a GVWR.

at any rate,if you were in a wreck with a load in your truck,its not likely an agent is going to show up and make you weigh it. they will have to prove somehow after the fact that your truck was overloaded.

if your concerned about them saying you were hauling too big/heavy of a trailer,thats GCVW and not neccesarily anything to do with GVWR... and a whole nother can of worms :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
your insurance company will base your coverage on your VIN number,so there must be a generic number that comes with that year/make/model SRW 1 ton when they type your VIN into their computer.

are you wanting coverage for your truck and its cargo? just the truck? or do you just want to make sure that they will pick up the tab for a liability issue if you cause an accident?

for the truck,if its exceptionally nice,id have it appraised so youre not screwed in case of an accident thats not your fault.

if you typically and frequently haul things in your truck that are of exceptional value,id look into a blanket policy that covers up to X amt of cargo,wich may end up being a comercial policy,i dont know.

if you just want to make sure that your liability is covered,id call your your insurance company and ask them. they can tell you all the info they have on your truck... among wich id think would be a GVWR.

at any rate,if you were in a wreck with a load in your truck,its not likely an agent is going to show up and make you weigh it. they will have to prove somehow after the fact that your truck was overloaded.

if your concerned about them saying you were hauling too big/heavy of a trailer,thats GCVW and not neccesarily anything to do with GVWR... and a whole nother can of worms :)
My 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton GVWR is 8600, The F-350 sigle is at 9200 GVWR. My 2007 Dodge Dully work truck has a GVWR 12200, that screws it up when I have to pull 14,000 GVWR Trailer, just over the 26,000 mark (CDL), so I pull with the F-350.

·
bobbing for fries
1,879 Posts
A local spring shop can do this. Costs about $100 for the tag

·
Registered
190 Posts
This might help a little.

THREE QUARTER TON 2WD SPECS:

Model designation:
1973-1986 Chevrolet: C20
1987-1988 Chevrolet: R20
1973-1986 GMC: C2500
1987-1988 GMC: R2500

GVW:
1973-1979: 8,200 lbs. single rear wheel
1980-1988: 8,600 lbs. single rear wheel

ONE TON 2WD SPECS:

Model designation:
1973-1986 Chevrolet: C30
1987-1988 Chevrolet: R30
1989-1991 Chevrolet: R3500
1973-1986 GMC: C3500
1987-1991 GMC: R3500

GVW:
Standard: 9,000 lbs. single rear wheel
Optional: 9,600 lbs. single rear wheel
Optional: 10,000 lbs. dual rear wheel

ONE TON 4WD SPECS:

Model designation:
1973-1986 Chevrolet: K30
1987-1988 Chevrolet: V30
1989-1991 Chevrolet: V3500
1973-1986 GMC: K3500
1987-1991 GMC: V3500

GVW:
Standard: 9,200 lbs. single rear wheel
Optional: 10,000 lbs. dual rear wheel

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
My 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton GVWR is 8600, The F-350 sigle is at 9200 GVWR. My 2007 Dodge Dully work truck has a GVWR 12200, that screws it up when I have to pull 14,000 GVWR Trailer, just over the 26,000 mark (CDL), so I pull with the F-350.
Is that in 2010 lbs, or 2013 lbs?

:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
I also got hassled by the AAA/DMV because the 89' SRW k30/V3500 I bought had no door sticker either. They wanted me to get a letter from the manufacturer stating the GVRW. :shaking: I argued my way around it and they just ended up leaving that area blank on the form. I told them I wasn't going to leave until they gave me plates and stickers. :laughing: They were tired of "dealing" with me :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
Here you register for weight. I can get registered for 20K here no problems, so I'd check with your state and insurance co. and see what their laws and policies are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts