Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of reaming out and re-tapping my Knuckles for Dana 44 Grade 8 Steering Arm studs, cone washers, and nuts. I purchased a set of OTT Arms already drilled and Tapered for these studs from Jim at Inchworm.

I started on the mods today during my lunch break

The most important aspect of this mod IMO, is making sure the holes are kept square, both during the process of drilling them out, and when tapping them to 9/16”-18

The 9/16-18 tap speced a 33/64” hole size. So, to achieve this, I choose to enlarge the holes with a 33/64” reamer instead of a drill bit of the same size. Reamers are perfect for making a hole larger.

I only have a floor standing Drill press to work with so I needed to come up with a way to make sure I kept the new size holes on center and square, as well as a way to run the tap and keep it square.

Here is what I did today.

I took my stock Passenger side arm. And reamed all 4 holes to 33/64” on the drill press (I verified the tool was square to the table before I proceeded, and I verified the arm was squared up as well). Because of the taper already present in the arms holes for the cone washers, the reamer virtually centered itself, and enlarged the holes as if the arm was made of butter. Worked sweet in other words.

Using the modified arm, I attached it to the knuckle with the stock 12mm studs and cone washers caddy cornered. I then went to the drill press, and using the new holes in the arm as a guide to center the reamer, reamed out to holes to 33/64”

Worked perfect.

Next, I left the arm on the knuckle, and using 2 long 12mm bolts, I stuck in from the inside of the knuckle through the 2 new holes, and snugged them down with cone washers and nuts. Next, I removed the stock Studs. (Note, I chased the holes and the studs with a tap and die so I could loosen them with my fingers for this stage).

Back to the drill press, and ream the the remaining 2 holes.

Now I take the stock arm off, set the OTT arm on, and eyeball it. Sonofabitch!!!!!! It worked, all the holes look great!!!

Ok, now the fun part, tapping the hole squarely for 9/16-18. I figure if I screw this part up, my knuckles are ruined.

I decide that what I would do is chuck the tap into the drill press, and turn it by hand to start the first few threads. In conversation with Clint at Inchworm’s shop, he said they did that, but took it one step further, and using a wrench, turned the pulley nut. Ding! Hell ya! Now we’re talking!

So, that’s exactly what I did. I just finished tapping the first hole, and all is good! I have 3 more to go, Hope they go as good as this one.

I’m committed now, but I keep wondering in the back of my head how the ARP grade 8 studs that are out now, and the new Marlin 6 studs compare to what I decided to do. Only time on the trail will tell me about the D44 way. I still have the other Knuckle to do, but it will be much faster now that I have worked out a method.

Stand by for some pics

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lowtorious said:
Got a finished side yet?
Just finished tapping the other 3 holes. Fits perfect! Hard part is done on this side. Still have to tear down and do the other side, but now that I have the procces down, it will go much faster for round 2.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Total Distorsion said:
Badass. How much do the arms run?
Arms were like $270 + some shipping I beleive. Same price as the the ones drilled and tapered for Toyota 12mm studs. I also had Jim order the arms set up for Chevy 1 ton TRE's. Apparently OTT builds to order, so it's no problem to specify the style of the holes.

Can't remember what the D44 studs and cones, and nuts cost. They were buried in with a ton of stuff I bought at Inchworm when I picked up the Arms

The Reamer was $20 with shipping from MSC. Had the tap already, I probably bought it at the local hardware store or at OSH.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I told Jim it was a good thing.. I pestered the daylights out of him to get mine done.

I've had zero problems since doing this. azrockcrawler also did it, and had zero problems. Just comparing the size of the two different studs makes a believer out of me, especially when you consider that a D44 setup only uses 3 of those studs.

as for cost of the studs - it's about $7 a stud/cone/nut.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
When I did mine I bolted the knuckle to a plate, stuck the assembly into a mill and dropped a drill bit down into one of the holes. Then I zeroed the digital readout and opened up the holes with a drill bit using the dimensions in the picture below. You'll be happy with the upgrade. We only had one instance of breakage but it was caused by hitting a boulder at high speed. Loose steering arm nuts became a thing of the past.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Azrckcrawler said:
When I did mine I bolted the knuckle to a plate, stuck the assembly into a mill and dropped a drill bit down into one of the holes. Then I zeroed the digital readout and opened up the holes with a drill bit using the dimensions in the picture below. You'll be happy with the upgrade. We only had one instance of breakage but it was caused by hitting a boulder at high speed. Loose steering arm nuts became a thing of the past.
Nice, I will get all the tech from this thread moved over into the FAQ by the end of the week.

Must be a treat to have a mill!

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sickfab said:
Cool Steve! Looks awesome.
BTW, if you ever need anything milled or lathed, PM me..... :cool2:
Thanks, and right back at ya. PM me if I can ever help with anything.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On to final assembly this week

Had a little set back on Sunday. Let's just say that shims are tough sharp little bastards .......

I splurged and bought the Toyota STEERING KNUCKLE CENTERING GAUGE Special Service tool P/N 09634-60013 from http://toyota.spx.com

Worth every penny. Following the FSM procedure, preload came out perfect. spec is 6.6 to 13.3lb, I'm at 10.1

Anyway, here is the pass side finally bolted on.

And what I got for breaking my own shop safety rules. 4 stitches in each finger. Consider this my contribution to public service, never, never break the safety rules around shop equipment!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts