Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wound up getting a 22r for cheap, figured I could put my efi on and drop it in, turns out it had an 81 or 82 head on it, so it didn't have the correct holes to mount the intake.

My first attempt was a bracket going across a ouple bolt holes, didn't work, started sucking air when warm.

did alot of research, and 99.9% of it came up to change the head, definitely don't want to do that.
came across this
and i figure I can do that.

soo, went to industrial and found a piece of 1/2"x6"x18" for $18 and traced the gasket

started drilling

cut to size on my table saw with a carbide blade
drilled bolt holes, tapped the ones that needed to be tapped, countersunk 3 holes

got a bit for porting cyl heads to open up the intake holes

mounted

assembled

had to lengthen the intake support bar

haven't driven it yet, but no intake leaks yet, and every bolt hole is being used.

total ~ $30 with gaskets.

·
Lifer
492 Posts
Looks good man. I didn't even know the carb'd heads were different :homer:

Extending the intake runner will slightly change your power
curve... I'm sure 1/2" won't be noticeable though...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Diggin the homebrewness!

:smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good man. I didn't even know the carb'd heads were different :homer:

Extending the intake runner will slightly change your power
curve... I'm sure 1/2" won't be noticeable though...
from my research, the only ones that were different were 1981 and 1982, 1983 and up had both sets of holes for carb or efi intake.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Sweet. Why didn't I think of something like that? When ya gonna get a yeller star, so you can sell that to the guys who would think of fuel injecting a gen 1 carb engine? There might be a market for something like that.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
from my research, the only ones that were different were 1981 and 1982, 1983 and up had both sets of holes for carb or efi intake.
Mine is an 84, and I had the same problem. Who knows though, the PO could have very easily swapped something else in...wasn't a 20R head on a 22R a "performance" upgrade? I'm not sure but my 84 pickup head most certainly was the old style. Cool solution, is it working yet? I am assuming you used two gaskets then?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sweet. Why didn't I think of something like that? When ya gonna get a yeller star, so you can sell that to the guys who would think of fuel injecting a gen 1 carb engine? There might be a market for something like that.

The timmer just started for it being copied and sold on :shaking:

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no yellow star, no selling. this is to fix a 25 yr old problem, it's easy enough, and no demand. I just posted because I searched and searched and couldn't find nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts