Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rain in So Cal today so i'm going to open up The Ls3 Throttle body from 90MM to 96MM. Also open up the NOS Plate.

You can see in the Pics how the LS3 intake is allready 94MM easly opened up to 96MM. I'll also latter Show some porting pics of the Intake..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
The throttle body isnt the restriction on those engines. the 90mm TB's can handle over 600 before they become the bottle neck. That happens before the throttle body is more important.

Sorry to burst your bubble but all that work will go un noticed. You're better off just matching the openings so you dont have any overlap or mismatch.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The throttle body isnt the restriction on those engines. the 90mm TB's can handle over 600 before they become the bottle neck. That happens before the throttle body is more important.

Sorry to burst your bubble but all that work will go un noticed. You're better off just matching the openings so you dont have any overlap or mismatch.
Ill bet he notices it does not run as good. Like Doc said, it will need a retune so the tables are not off.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok got it all bored and new TB plate...

Ported the NOS plate also..

I'll port the intake another weekend..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Ill bet he notices it does not run as good. Like Doc said, it will need a retune so the tables are not off.
Forgive my nievete but is this because more air will be seen at the MAF? Or because air movement will be slower at the MAF as a result of not opening the real bottleneck?

Because otherwise, if the engine's limitation in ability to take in air is not in the throttle body as 95geo says (and I agree with) in theory the engine should take in about as much air after as it did before.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm asking for my own knowledge.

J. J.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How much Hp gain are you expecting to see out of this??
Not shure.. There have been no 96 mm TB with a ported LS3 intake done that i know of...
Not shure why anyone would think more air in would be a bad thing..
My intake tubing is 100MM to a large Air filter....

They are getting 10 -12 RWHP from just porting the Intake... From what i have read.

This motor is still in the build stage and has not even gone on the dyno Yet..

CNC ported Heads, 418 Stroked,

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Good questions JJ. I've sat down on numerous occasions with someone I trust more than anyone on this board and we configured my build in GT Power which is a really really sohpisticated version of desktop dyno. The airflow numbers change more by getting a free flowing MAF than upping the throttly body diameter. Keep in mind, the 7.0L LS7 is making over 550 at the tires with the stock throttle body.

If you get into "porting" the throttle body it just screw up the throttle % opening to air flow volume. Basically, instead of having a nice linear progression as you open the throttle up you will have a spike in air flow at part throttle and you'll lose low to mid RPM drivability. I'm not sure what your TB looked like before the turning but that'll be a great on-off switch, in between there it'll be hard to get it smoothed out in the tune. Also, keep in mind that the LS7 throttle bodies open to the bottom while the LS3 and L76 throttle bodies open to the top. The intake manifold design of each reacts to their individual valve opening best, switching that up can give you uneven airflow numbers at different cylinders.

You can port match and remove the parting lines from inside the intake and that will make a difference but the throttle body isnt going to do anything. I suppose after tossing $6k at a 6.2L block, a larger diameter throttle body might be a cheap couple extra hp. :laughing:

Just some stuff to think about....

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good questions JJ. I've sat down on numerous occasions with someone I trust more than anyone on this board and we configured my build in GT Power which is a really really sohpisticated version of desktop dyno. The airflow numbers change more by getting a free flowing MAF than upping the throttly body diameter. Keep in mind, the 7.0L LS7 is making over 550 at the tires with the stock throttle body.

If you get into "porting" the throttle body it just screw up the throttle % opening to air flow volume. Basically, instead of having a nice linear progression as you open the throttle up you will have a spike in air flow at part throttle and you'll lose low to mid RPM drivability. I'm not sure what your TB looked like before the turning but that'll be a great on-off switch, in between there it'll be hard to get it smoothed out in the tune. Also, keep in mind that the LS7 throttle bodies open to the bottom while the LS3 and L76 throttle bodies open to the top. The intake manifold design of each reacts to their individual valve opening best, switching that up can give you uneven airflow numbers at different cylinders.

You can port match and remove the parting lines from inside the intake and that will make a difference but the throttle body isnt going to do anything. I suppose after tossing $6k at a 6.2L block, a larger diameter throttle body might be a cheap couple extra hp. :laughing:

Just some stuff to think about....
I guess if 650 to 700 hp pluss 125 nos shot is :laughing: for 3800$$ You will never be happy........

I also use Speed Denisity... No pre intake restrictions...;)

I have no flow numbers I will post up either way when the build is done... I enjoy trying diffrent things outside the average build..
The ported Intake has proven to be a good easy cheap Hp gain... I have no proof The TB will help, if I'm wrong i'll let everyine know . But there are 102MM intakes/TB and the Ls2 96 MM TB/ Intakes That Idle and throttle response is just fine..

Proof Has been out for years With the Ls2 stuff.. And larger TB's? This is a good descussion, have you herd the 96MM Ls2 stuff not having any low end drivabality? Mine being a ls3 stroker not shure low end will ever be a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I guess if 650 to 700 hp pluss 125 nos shot is :laughing: for 3800$$

You will never be happy........

Speed Denisity...
haters mark thats all like you need more HP you"ll just end upside down quicker but who am i to talk i got to much too :D

Joey

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haters mark thats all like you need more HP you"ll just end upside down quicker but who am i to talk i got to much too :D

Joey

No comment on on being belly up...

Man Joey you would not belive how many people stoped me At KOH and Said
"Hey Joey Your buggy looks much better Red".. Haaa Sorry I'm not Joey...

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
No comment on on being belly up...

Man Joey you would not belive how many people stoped me At KOH and Said
"Hey Joey Your buggy looks much better Red".. Haaa Sorry I'm not Joey...
that just means you must be a goodlooking fucker if they thought you were me huh :laughing: it does look good red

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I guess if 650 to 700 hp pluss 125 nos shot is for 3800$$ You will never be happy........

Can I see that parts list? I got more than that into mine and no where near 700hp.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I guess if 650 to 700 hp pluss 125 nos shot is for 3800$$ You will never be happy........

Can I see that parts list? I got more than that into mine and no where near 700hp.
you east coast guys are funny :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

It's just a stock ls1..;)

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
you east coast guys are funny :D
Yeah, because physics work totally different here in the east than out west?

Come on ... all you've done so far is spout off about how good looking you are and being upside down. Out here in the east there's only one term that comes to mind for someone who talks about that stuff ...

Back what you and your buddy are saying up with some facts! I'm trying to learn here! :)

J. J.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Yeah, because physics work totally different here in the east than out west?

Come on ... all you've done so far is spout off about how good looking you are and being upside down. Out here in the east there's only one term that comes to mind for someone who talks about that stuff ...

Back what you and your buddy are saying up with some facts of STFU. I'm trying to learn here! :)

J. J.
thats pretty easy to back that up look at my build thread " latest creation to come out of hazardousconcepts" and maybe you"ll learn something then :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Did you bore the throttle body all the way though or just on either side of the throttle blade? If you did all the way through what are you doing for a new throttle blade??

1 - 20 of 56 Posts