Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m swapping an FZJ80 rear end into a 2005 Tacoma. The land cruiser axle has discs with a mini drum parking brake and uses a bell crank on each side (back side of axle) going to a single cable running the width of the axle. The Tacoma has drums with a cable going to each drum. The original bell cranks are rotted off but I can probably order new ones, but the question is can I even use them? How do I get this to work? It’s a daily driver and I live in the mountains, a parking brake is a must.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Idea: put drum shoes on backwards (switch sides) so cable needs to pull forward, drill/cut hole for Tacoma cable? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
66 Posts
1 cable + bell cranks = parking brake lever is mounted on the dash and you pull it backwards towards you.
2 individual cables = floor mounted lever that you pull upwards like modern cars.

You could:
Swap backing plates to something newer that uses the 2 cable style parking brake,
Swap the truck to a dash mounted parking brake lever (yuck),
Rig up some sort of system to have your 2 individual cables pull on the individual bell cranks
Have a cable made to go from your floor lever to the equalizer bar on the diff (probably the easiest)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to go the adventurous route, put the shoes on backwards, and modify the backing plate. It’s slightly ghetto but it works!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts