Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the thread on Hal's rig and was way jazzed to hear he got it back.

As pro-fabber, I have had to deal with this issue before on makeing sure your rig is definalty ID'able.

One problem is a custom rig can be very custom. If you have a full tube chassis, parts can be switched, stickers can be removed, numbers stamped or welded on can be ground down. Then, its yoru word against his and hope the police use your build pics as proof. But either way, it could be very tough if the other sticks to his sotry. This is a trick I do for my cusomters that will give you ABSOLUTE ID proof..

Make a metal tag, either stamp it our your self or have a place do it. I use a Army Surplus store that has a dog tag making machine. Get your info put on it. More the better. Then, while the chassis is benig built, drop it in a tube. Make it small, maybe a out of the way gusset, or a small frame tie.

So God forbid, some fuckwad steals your rig and its found you have leverage. Years ago, a rig was stolen here in AZ. When they found it, almost everything had been changed, painted or swapped out. They guy who "had" it, claimed it was his chassis and he built it. Made it tough for the police to to really say who's it was.

If at the end of the conversation, and your are going back and forth, Police arent sure what to do... you drop the bomb. "That's my rig and I can prove it..."

It will be solid as stone. In all likely hood, the mere threat of proof wil be enough for the bad guy to start sweating and its down hill from there. Of course, if you do one tag, I would do 2.. Could be the best 10 bucks you ever spend.

Congrats Hal. Sure made my morning :smokin:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
i have a vin plate for my rig....so, for one, when i get closer to being done, it will be welded on....

also, i have a small hand held engraver....i plan to engrave some "out of sight spots" with a number, password, reverse SS# or something like that....but i mean main hoops and frame rails....

there will be no mistaning it.....

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Can be useful for major components too - small magnets holding ID tags in an axle tube, on a T-case bottom cover, to the inside of rims, etc. You get the idea.

·
Moderhater
23,493 Posts
whats wrong with just lojack? i mean the box is about the size of a pack of smokes, can practicly be hidden anywhere, and they make vibration/shock/waterproof ones for heavy equipment..... PLUS it tells you where it is?

i mean thats the direction im going for both my rigs. i had it on my other truck and felt very secure with it.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
whats wrong with just lojack? i mean the box is about the size of a pack of smokes, can practicly be hidden anywhere, and they make vibration/shock/waterproof ones for heavy equipment..... PLUS it tells you where it is?

i mean thats the direction im going for both my rigs. i had it on my other truck and felt very secure with it.
I have been thinking alot about that. How much will a set-up run $ wise?
________
Glass bubblers

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I can engrave up aluminum tags like I did for the f-toys s/n plates

have to get something this time to cover shipping and naterial, not going to make $ on these but will offer it up:)

$10 for 3 tags shipped,like 1" x 3"

3 4 5 lines info, could engrave back side too:)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

damn straight. Lojack will be in my rig once it's done.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Pet smart might be a cheap solution. They have the little dog tag engraver, they are cheap and done while you wait. You can get anything you want put on them. On a $$$ custom rig or even a cheap one, I think this is a great idea. I'd probably put them in main rail sections too. Just because they are the least likely to be molested, and if it realy came down to it I'd rather cut a frame than lose an identification battle.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
It's a great idea, so great I did it like 10 years ago!

Our shop has dot peen marking machines that let you peen in a desired phrase in any surface thats under 55 Rockwell hardness. I marked "property of XXX XXX" in about 40 tags made of 304 stainless and gave them to buddy that was building a sand rail.

He had them in ever light, wheel and in half the tubes of his car. Hell he even tack welded one to the inside of his fuel pump block-off plate!

It would suck to have to cut a tube open in a car to find the tag but I bet Hal wouldn't have bated an eye to get his rig back!

Tags where .75x2.0 and took about 5 seconds apiece to mark.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
you can also do the same thing with a full bodied rig.

Somethign as simple as business cards, preferably the plastic variety, can be dropped in all kinds of places, like door, under seats, behind the dash, etc, etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
how about bondoing in some stamped numbers and sanding it flush? would remain hidden nicely under paint until you drop the bomb and would only require that you sand down to bare tube to verify rather than cut tube.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of ideas. That's the idea. Me dropping the tags in was just a quick and simple way do it. The idea, what ever you do, make sure someone cant find it going over it hard in their a garage late at night.

Pets Mart. Thats a great idea for making tags.

I had thought about the Lo-Jack System for one my customers. Kicker was, you got a black box, I think its around the size of Rubic's Cube. But where do you hide it? Each vehicle would be different, but a full tube job, kinda hard to hide something like that. Remember, those only work if you know its stolen.

May sound like a stupid obvious comment, but if what your ride get swiped out of your back yard while you are on vaction?

If you can get it and hide, I would. Plus then you got a chance of catching the fuckers that took in the first place. :mad3:

·
Registered
387 Posts
How much does the service for Lojack cost? What about just a gps tracked cell phone hard wired in? I believe that you can track most cell phones online via the internet, and can also set them up to call you if they leave a certain area. It seems like this might be a cheaper option. obviously you'd also have to figure out how to keep it powered all the time and safe and dry. Just thinking about an alternative that most of us could do cheaply.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nice idea

Can we see a example of these tags? I think i got a few friends who might be interested in both metal and alumi plates or id tags. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts