Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 FJ40 and i want to put Disc brakes on there. How do I go about doing this? Also, I want to go SOA, do I have to cut and rotate the knuckles? If so, who can do that for me. Or would I be better off with some Toy pickup axles? The rear is gonna be centered anywhay. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible.

Dima

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can do a Mini truck conversion using the outers form that housing on your drum brake axle.A cut and turn is a good thin g to consider if your going SOA.There are several shops that can do the cut and turn including us.Mudrak up in Napa is near you and doe's awesome work.Or you can send it to me or Proffitts in Colorado.
Simon

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
your best bet on discs are mini truck discs.....can be pricy if you need new parts....

as for soa you do not need to cut and rotate unless your running at speed in 4wd

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
your best bet on discs are mini truck discs.....can be pricy if you need new parts....

as for soa you do not need to cut and rotate unless your running at speed in 4wd
I disagree.
Most of the time you do need to do a Cut and turn. If it is not mandatory it is still a good idea.

And to fit mini birfs in your axles you are looking at a lot of internal grinding.

Additionally, you planning on a master cylinder upgrade?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I'm running a SOA without a cut & turn and it's fine. It probably has alot to do with the SR and how it mounts though. Also have the mini truck disc....they are a pretty straight forward swap and the grinding really isen't that bad. I don't think you will need to upgrade the master cylinder unless your going to do discs in the rear too. Mine stops pretty good for what it is which is important driving in a college town with other crappy drivers besides me....least I don't care about body damage :D

Joseph

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the mini disc seems to be a lot fo work, then i have to cut and turn the knuckles, for all that work, I may as well do a mini truck front axle swap, or a Waggy 44 swap.

Simon, do you set up gears and what not? I gotta make a trip down that way one of these days soon

How about you Ryan, do you do gears and axle work?

Dima

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Mini swap will make you outboard the springs...

Additionally cut and rotate will still probably be necessary..

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
How about you Ryan, do you do gears and axle work?

yup

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
a Waggy 44 swap.

yup

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
a Waggy 44 swap.

yup
Yea, I am thinking about going to the yards and grabbing myself a Waggy 44 for the front of this, and running an IFS rear. I will be calling you to set up the axle gears.

Maybe even a cage for the cruiser too. Depends on if I can get Chris's bender again.

Dima

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
you can always get a full width 44 and narrow it 4 " and use a waggy shaft....the spring perches are of 1/2" off total but 1/4 per side is nothing ......worked for me when i was running leafs and a 44 front.....just another option for ya

·
Zeus of the Sluice
4,740 Posts
Jason M said:
I disagree.

And to fit mini birfs in your axles you are looking at a lot of internal grinding.

its far from allot of grinding if ya know what your supposed to be grinding. :flipoff2:

C&T's are cake! other than the 44 turning a little sharper and being wider, there is no strength advantage (stock vs stock).
that has been beat to death. :beer:

·
Registered
569 Posts
almost anyway you go it will be a lot of work. your 68 has a course spline pinion gear and course spline axles. niether of which is desired. also the cut and turn is nearly mandatory. i though i could get by without one, but after a couple of rides i was scared to drive my cruiser on the street. i couldnt keep it in my lane. right now you can get a cut and turn housing from cruiser outfitters on sale. use mini truck knuckles and axles for the disc conversion. you will need everything but the housing. use fj40 rotors and 94 4runner calipers for the vented rotors. the mini birfields are stronger that the crusiers.
and the steering arms are stronger. upgrade the gears in your diff to fine spline(not entirely necessary) but need 30 spline locker or 30 spline spider gears for thie mini axles. i wish i had done this when i built my axles. if oyu need parts pm me i have some stuff you may be able to use, or pm me if you need any clarification on anything i already mentioned.
joey

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
i was scared to drive my cruiser on the street

yeah at speed in 4wd ;) ....as long as you watch the caster your cool....and also a low pro sr......

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I went through this and it is not that difficult...
I would get rid of your early axle though, either buy one staight up from someone selling a used cruiser disk axle. For example:

I have a complete front axle for sale removed today from a running 1976 FJ55. This axle is a direct replacement for FJ40, FJ55 and FJ45 models. It is complete from hub to hub, and works- I drove the truck into the garage. It has the desirable Aisin hubs- standard on FJ55 models, 4.11 third member axle ratio, and factory disc brakes that are complete and functional. Includes flexible brake hoses. Steering worked fine as did the brakes. Located in northeast PA near Paragon and Rausch Creek off road parks. I would prefer not to ship but will do so at buyer's expenses (crating and shipping). Hit me off list [email protected] home phone 570-668-2489, work phone 610-208-3792. Gary Schmauch

-- Or ---

Buy a later drum model and switch it over. That is what I did and I am happy. Will take about a day, two if you've never done it before but it sharpens your birfield changing skills :) www.birfield.com/~morgan has the best writeup I've seen for tearing down and rebuilding a disk brake front axle... Good luck!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
i was scared to drive my cruiser on the street

yeah at speed in 4wd ;) ....as long as you watch the caster your cool....and also a low pro sr......
Ryan, 4wd or 2wd caster remains the same..

If your caster is way off driving is not fun at any speed over 40mph...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
as long as you watch the caster your cool..........

im glad we agree.......the reason why you wouldnt be able to cruz at speed in 4wd is because of the shaft angle....you might get some vibes ;).....

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Sorry, I thought you meant something else ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts