Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned on here in order to remove the steering arm on a high steer knuckle is to heat it up and whack on it till it comes off, but can i take the studs out first??

I was thinking of just welding a nut on the stud and taking the studs out with a impact and then the arm should just fall off right??

The studs are just threaded in right??

I am going to be putting new studs and arms on so if they are destroyed no big i just need to get them out.

This is on a IH truck if it really matters.

Any insight and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Thanks, I hope it dont turn into one of those take all day kind of jobs, u do make it sound easy:)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
get a air hammer with a punch bit on the end.

hit the end of each stud and it will vibrate the cone washers loose...especially if you have been pb blasting, and beating the SOB with a BFH.

Done it, it works...rusted old chebby knuckle.

Tried EVERYTHING else except the weding on a nut trick first.
(never tried that)
Once I had the arm off I was able to jam two nuts on and use an impact on the studs.
MJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a little info on parts rusted together. Rust is porous. Heating it red hot allows the air to expand inside the threads and will help the studs come out. Be careful not to melt anything. Have fun....

ps a big hammer also helps;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
grinder with a zip cut and cut around all the cone washers. Then beat it and the washers fell out. Tried weld the nut and broke the studs, Yes I soaked them. The zip cut worked best on the rust crap you find up here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts