Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a noob and Im tinkering with an old GM 12 bolt. Ive gotten everything out but the pinion and yoke. Im try searching this site and google and cant find anything about it so bare with me.
I have removed the yoke nut. Other then that, I see no other visible removables....?????

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
This is from one of my threads edited for your application:

Changing the Yoke and seal:

You will need a large socket to fit the nut, breaker bar, cheater for breaker bar, 16 inch or larger pipe wrench, cheater for the pipe wrench, steering wheel puller. some all thread the same size of the bolts in the yoke, washers and nuts to match.

First you need to break the torque of the nut holding the yoke on. these things are torqued down above 180 pounds or more! So get a buddy to help hold the pipe wrench. Simple procedure is attempt to break the torque on the nut using the socket/breaker bar/cheater while your buddy holds the yoke using the pipe wrench/cheater combo. You might have to get a second buddy to hold the axle stable while doing this.

Once you get the nut off, set it aside. thread the all thread into the yoke exact opposite of each other. set up you steering wheel puller and the all thread with the nuts and washers. when you have it snugged up, check to make sure you are evenly set up. don't have 1.5 inches of allthread before the puller and 1.25 on the other side. You want this as even as possible and the yoke will slide right off no problem. trust me. take an additional 15 minutes to set this up perfect or you will be in a battle lasting all day You cannot bind this yoke off!

You can rent a steering wheel puller from kragen, checker, autozone, and get 100% refund when you return the tool.

Use a dead blow(Rubber Mallet) and hit the pinion gear on the thread end to the rear of the axle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the threaded shaft in the middle of the yoke is part of the yoke? Im going to want to use the steering wheel puller to pull on that threaded shaft and it will come out. For assistance I should use a rubber malet while hitting the threaded part of the pinion toward the yoke..... ???

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
the threaded part is the pinion. you are wanting to pull the yoke off the pinion and the tap the pinion out the back. i would put the nut back on the pinion after the yoke is off to totally avoid messing up the treads. if your not going to use it again, then just beat the hell out of it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how would the steering wheel puller help with the yoke? I thought the center thread on the puller would bolt to the thread and pull out...??? If it did this, it would just be pulling the pinion out the wrong way....

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Yowsa. Anywhooo...

Another trick to loosening a pinion nut is to brace your breaker bar against the ground and roll/push the truck backwards ( in my case) so the weight of the vehicle pushing the breaker bar turns the nut to break it loose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didnt have any trouble what-so-ever getting the pinion bolt off. I used a wrench and held the yoke with my hand. It wasnt on there very tight., I get I got lucky.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When putting the rear back together, the only issue that would have to be adjusted would be the pinion depth, also known as backlash...????

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome, thats for the picture!
What about the backlash? Is that the only thing to worry about when assembly of a axle? The backlash(pinion depth)determines how the pinion and ring meet each other and you want it to be perfect....????

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts