Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering which items/systems you guys run hot (constant fused B+) to and which ones go through the main disconnect switch.

Looking to make sure I stay legal for Ultra-4 tech, should I try to get into it with my legends class buggy in the future.

I'm thinking I will/should have constant b+ to:
- PCM hot (LS Motor, factory PCM)
- Running lights/brake lights
- GPS, Radios
- Interior lamps

Everything else through the main disconnect.

Alternator will not go through the disconnect, it will be direct to battery with a fusible link or high-amp breaker.

Suggestions? sound about right?

·
LLY Escalade
679 Posts
Alternator has to be wired through the disconnect or it'll keep the engine running if you kill the disconnect to ESD the engine.

My buggy has only the ECM and the main winch feeders bypassing the kill switch. Absolutely everything else goes through the disconnect. I don't have a GPS, radio or interior lamp inside of it but they would also bypass the kill switch if I were to install them. I have 0.005A of battery draw with the kill switch off and have a battery tender installed on it to keep it fresh while it sits during the winter.

When I wired up 4502 a while back we had the PCM, winch, GPS, radios, intercoms, interior lights, parker pump and accessory port wired up to bypass the kill switches. I put the alternator on the wrong side of the kill switch and was embarrassed to find that little error during our first tech inspection, doh! We also had to wire the park lamps up to the ignition switch directly. Otherwise we had no issues passing tech.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kill Switch (6.2.16.1)
 The switch needs to kill all power with exception of Winch, GPS, and Iritrack
o Common failure mode is alternator charge on the switched side of the kill, powering all systems even with the switch off

From what I gather the alternator has to be connected on the battery side of the kill switch. Otherwise, you shut off the kill switch and the alternator still feeds the engine and all accessories. No?

Do you have any kind of parking/amber lamps on the front? Or just the one amber lamp in the rear - wired through the ignition?

Thank you for the input
73's -KC8QZE

·
LLY Escalade
679 Posts
Yes, alternator needs to be connected on the battery side of the kill switch or the vehicle will continue to run when the kill switch is turned off.

Yes, we had some LED turn / marker lights on the front of the vehicle as well as yellow flashing lights out back. We had the front marker lights, flashing yellow lights and rear tail lights turn on with the ignition.

73's to you as well!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Wondering which items/systems you guys run hot (constant fused B+) to and which ones go through the main disconnect switch.

Looking to make sure I stay legal for Ultra-4 tech, should I try to get into it with my legends class buggy in the future.

I'm thinking I will/should have constant b+ to:
- PCM hot (LS Motor, factory PCM)
- GPS, Radios
- Winch

Everything else through the main disconnect.

Alternator will not go through the disconnect, it will be direct to battery with a fusible link or high-amp breaker.

Suggestions? sound about right?
Fixed you list. Your right on with the rest though

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Need some clarification on the alternator / starter wiring and disconnect. Engine is a 01 LQ4 with stock alternator. Can I just run the alt. Wire direct to the stud on the starter or does it need to be ran to the battery side of the disconnect? I'm planning on running the starter wire direct from the battery without going through the disconnect. This correct? Alt. Wire will have an online fuse. Don't want to have the engine keep running if I had to hit the disconnect in an emergency

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need some clarification on the alternator / starter wiring and disconnect. Engine is a 01 LQ4 with stock alternator. Can I just run the alt. Wire direct to the stud on the starter or does it need to be ran to the battery side of the disconnect? I'm planning on running the starter wire direct from the battery without going through the disconnect. This correct? Alt. Wire will have an online fuse. Don't want to have the engine keep running if I had to hit the disconnect in an emergency
I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it that way. Just so long as the alternator is connected to the battery side of the disconnect. I didn't consider connecting to the starter.

This method would save weight and cost on wire. The only thing I don't like is you have an extra wire on there that could potentially aid in vibrating the nut loose on the starter. Battery wire coming off the starter is a bad day. Alternator wire coming off at either end would just pop a fuse or fusible link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts