Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ship a pallet from CA to NC, 4'x5'x8' tall 1000lbs. Been getting quotes for $1,200-$1,500. That seems like a lot of money considering I can have a vehicle shipped for that amount or less. My guess is that I am not looking in the right places.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I need to ship a pallet from CA to NC, 4'x5'x8' tall 1000lbs. Been getting quotes for $1,200-$1,500. That seems like a lot of money considering I can have a vehicle shipped for that amount or less. My guess is that I am not looking in the right places.
I've heard fastenall will ship from store to store... dunno if that is an option?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have used these guys to ship transmission/axles/engines on a pallet .

https://www.freightquote.com/

I recall a Dana 60 on a pallet was $135 WI to Texas, an Allison 1000 and t-case was $150 MD to WI.

There is up charges if you need a lift gate and it is residential. Plenty of similar companies that do the same thing. Also check out Fastenal shipping.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would make a lot of calls, maybe consider another option.
Years ago I had to ship a car. We wanted to visit a friend who was halfway. I rented a car trailer one way my place to designation. The buyer met me at the halfway point with his truck and made the switch. It went well, and we split the trailer rental cost.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
are you getting quotes from LTL places or fedex and UPS?
FedEx freight isn't even that expensive. I feel like he is accidentally checking FedEx Express. They're totally different.

But yeah, LTL for that size should be cheaper. Check with any LTL carrier like YRC or whatever. Also Fastenal. The last one I did personally I set up through UShip and it went well a few years ago, anything I do now through work is FedEx Freight but that's just for convenience.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pallets are cheap store to store with Fastenal. Freight quote is good too. Of course they'll call you every other month for years asking if you need anything shipped.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Well if you're worried about getting raped, I suggest getting some protection. A good defense is a good offense..

A metal chastity belt with a combo lock should do the trick

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have used these guys to ship transmission/axles/engines on a pallet .

https://www.freightquote.com/

I recall a Dana 60 on a pallet was $135 WI to Texas, an Allison 1000 and t-case was $150 MD to WI.

There is up charges if you need a lift gate and it is residential. Plenty of similar companies that do the same thing. Also check out Fastenal shipping.
Called these guys. They are around $800. I'm trying to see if I can find anyone local that has a forklift so I don't get charged a residential dropoff fee which will drop it to about $575.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Need to find a freight broker.

I shipped a motorcycle on a pallet once ups freight because the guy said he had an account. 2k NY to AZ, they reduced it to 1600 after complaining it was insane.

I shipped the same thing with a freight broker, it went yellow freight NY to FL for 225.

I will see if i can find the contact info, they worked out of an apartment in brooklyn.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
BZS Transport Inc 126 Franklin Ave Brooklyn, NY 11205 Tel 718-618-6133 Fax 718-841-7412

This was a few years ago but this is the info. Give them a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Every single shipper will ship to the Durham / RDU area. That said, call every single freight company within max. distance to which the palette can be dropped off for the best quote. Pretty simple.

Before you dispute "every shipper", I mean every shipper for the fact that if they do not have a terminal in RDU, they simply will have an affiliate in RDU in which they specifically deal with. For RDU is huge. There's not a shipper out there that's been in business for 3 years that hasn't affiliated so that they too can ship to RDU.

I've shipped probably 30 times parting out trucks in the past 5-7 years. I can spend an entire day calling around and I guarantee there won't be 2 quotes alike.

Fastenel is a lot of times more than not of being one of the cheapest as long as it is picked up at a Fastenel store.

My next favorite I tend to go with is Forward Air.

And 3'rd is Central Transport which has probably the closest terminal to you being Club Blvd / I-85 interchange. Small place. Don't have a ramp to the dock but if you go first thing in the morning, they have a truck with a lift gate. Cheesy place, but typical Durham fashion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts