Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the searches and have not been able to find out any info on shortening Full Float axles.

I have seen Mike Knorr's site on shortening the D60 Semi-float, but I would like to know how to shorten the FF rear end.

Is the FF stub pressed into the axle tube and then welded to the axle tube. This is what I am hoping for.

Any enlightenment would be great.

Rod

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: rocket ]

·
Registered
14 Posts
From the axles I've seen, the tubes are pressed into the housing, then plug welded using exitsting holes in the housing. Either drill out the welds or cut them out with torch. Cut off what you don't need and press them back in and weld it back together. I know it sounds simple, but its not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeeperob, but I was hoping not to have to remove the axle tube from the housing and to be able to shorten the tube out at the fully float stubs.

I'd really like to know how the stubs fit/attach to the axle tubes so that I can try to shorten them out there.

Rod

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
why not just get a cab & chassis dually rear 14bolt from a chevy? they are only 62" wide so they are already
narrower than full width and they already have 1.5" shafts. this is what i run and they can be had for less than the cost of having custom shafts made for the 60. not to mention the time it takes to try and narrow the housing. just another option.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Dana 70 spindle from 1990s

i have the original image at 1024 x ?? as well as a disassembled axle and a digi camera

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I cut the ends off, and made it a semi-float 35 spline with Moser axles. The bearing cups are a spigot fit into the tubes, so having it done is not that hard or pricey. High quality 35 spline semis are pretty damn strong, probably as strong or stronger than most 30 spline floaters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose that my question is whether the spindle and tube are all one piece, ie. the only way to shorten a full float axle is to pull the axle tubes from the centre housing and cut them and then press them back in.

I was hoping that the spindle at the end of the axle tube was seperate and could be removed and re-welded - does anyone know if this is the case?

Has anyone ever done this ??

Rod

·
Registered
8 Posts
sure you can cut off the ends and shorten the tubes then reweld . Same process is used up front

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys

Maybe this picture will help the situation a bit.

My question is whether tube A is the same as tube B or whether the two tube sections have been butt welded together somehow. The white line shows where the spindle necks down on the inside of the tube. I just cannot figure out how they are joined and would love to know.

Thanks in advance

Rod Walker

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm resurrecting this topic from the dead. I'm about to pick up a FF D60 rear from a 90s Dodge pickup and am going to try to shorten the housing myself.

Anyone know of a website showing how to do this? Yes, I searched (that's how I found this topic).

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Just went back out to the shop to lppk. If you were to grind off the welds that would be to the left side of the backing plate flange(inside in abouve picture)the spindle would come off.the tube extends most of the way out almost to the end of the larger of the two spindle dia. I was looking at the ends of a d6o full floater we had cut off in the shop to narrow.I can get exact measurements if needed.You should not need though

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
hey rocket man, i just got done converting a d60 from seim to full float, so what I did is somewhat related to this... (it is also converted to 5 on 5.5, pretty cool, huh) we cut off the spindles that were welded on to the housing, machined the ends of the tubes to deburr etc, then machined a flange that was pressed into the d60 tubes that the new spindles and caliper mounting brackets would mount to. dump a sh!tload of weld and you're primed ready for action. I dont see why you can't just cut the spindle off and shorten that side of the tube instead of messing with pressing whole axle tubes in and out.

Or just leave it full width! :D

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Tube A is the axle tube and Tube B is the spindle. Cut off the spindle at he weld right by the Tube A "Box" that is right by the backing plate flange that welds the spindle to Tube A. It will be very thick there so it will take some time to cut and then once the spindle is off then cut off the extra from the housing to narrow it to whatever width you need.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
'tube a' and 'tube b' are the same tube
the spindle weld is to the right of where he wrote 'tube b'
spindles are a wearing item and are replaced all the time
go to stock car products website and check out all the spindle and hub options for 9" ford rears

1 - 17 of 17 Posts