Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an SM465 with either a Dana 18 or 20 behind it (although it could be another kind of Dana for all I know). Obviously it says Dana on it. Then it has this weird sort of bridge/arm that the shifter is on, shaped like an L with Hi/Lo shifter moving the two shift rods. So is there a give away to tell what kind it is?

Thanks

·
Team *******
786 Posts
A D20 has the front output offset to the right and the rear output in the center.
A D18 has the both the front and rear outputs offset to the right.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If it is a stock GM setup, it has to be a Dana 20 - they never used a Dana 18. Dana 20s were used in some Blazers and Jimmys from '69 through about '73 or so. They could be found behind SM465s, three speeds, and TH350s.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. It's a 20 based on what TLR wrote. I was kinda wondering what it was out of, hopefully that will simplify identifying what seal I need for it.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Most Dana cases have a placard on them to identify what it is. Normally they are so crusted over it hard to locate them.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Oh yeah, if it's a GM 20 it's gonna have a 2:1 low range. I think some of the other ones had a lower ratio (Scout or Bronco?).

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by Black Dog:
<STRONG>If it is a stock GM setup, it has to be a Dana 20 - they never used a Dana 18. Dana 20s were used in some Blazers and Jimmys from '69 through about '73 or so. They could be found behind SM465s, three speeds, and TH350s.</STRONG>
I've never seen a GM Dana 20. Are they the same as the Jeep/Scout Dana 20? Do they have the "Texas" bolt pattern on their mounting surfaces?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
They are not too common, as they were used in Blazer/Jimmy only. Never compared one to a Jeep or Scout model, but I think the mounting pattern has that odd shape. I pitched the 3 speed tranny and the Dana 20 I pulled out of my Blazer in the junk yard - none of the Chevy guys want that stuff.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Grandpa_Jeep:
<STRONG>Do they have the "Texas" bolt pattern on their mounting surfaces?</STRONG>
It looks to have the same pattern. Except the shift mounter is weird as crap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
scout Dana 20 is 2.0:1
Early Bronco is 2.46:1

or like me you can have a Scout D20 modified with EB gears for 2.46:1 in a scout

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by lt303scoutin:
<STRONG>scout Dana 20 is 2.0:1
Early Bronco is 2.46:1

or like me you can have a Scout D20 modified with EB gears for 2.46:1 in a scout</STRONG>
I was definetly thinking of going that route as soon as I find a cheap Bronco Dana 20. Any tips?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts