Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Durango

There's a chirping noise coming from the front driveshaft somewhere near the transfercase. There isn't any chirping sound when I jacked up the rear and spun the back tires. Does this sound like a bad joint, or driveshaft?

Also, is it safe to drive the vehicle when it's making this noise? I won't be able to take it to the driveline shop till Monday.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Pull it off and take a cap off. Look for scorching, or damage to the metal, or missing needle bearings.

I never had screeching before :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just changed the universal joint on my 85 4runner and before it went it was screeching like a baby. I still drove it around for about two weeks before I changed it though. Those needle bearings were toast. The squeeking is most likely a lack of lubrication and alot of rust (as mine were).
It is very likely your U-Joint.

Nick

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Almost always you get a vibration before the chirping.
The chirping is your needle bearings turning to dust.
Grease wont help now.

If you can't feel slack in the u-joints by hand (in nuetral wheels scotched)
Take one end of the shaft loose.
and move each u-joint back and forth.
If it's hard to move in one direction, that's the joint with the problem.

BTW I had a vibration in mine for the last week, just didn't know which joint was bad. I pulled 2wd drive chevy up the hill yesterday in the snow. When I turned around you could hear it chirping. So last night I pulled the rear shaft and my upper was bad.

·
Registered
249 Posts
An idea you might try too, is to put a "witness" mark on the caps and yolks, and that way you can quickly and easily check to see if the cap has spun in the yolk.

·
Registered
213 Posts
take the front shaft off and replace the joints, mark ur drive shaft so u can put it back on the way it was so u dont get a vibration. and that should fix your problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts