Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just running some numbers and it looks like my jeep is going to be in the 87-93" width range, depending on backspacing, with the 14r20s and 406 portals.

That just seems stupid wide to me but I'm used to my little scout 44's. This is not a comp rig, just a trail rig.

who else out there is running in this width? Problems? regrets? advice?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm 94" wide. I think it makes more of a difference where you wheel though. On our trails, it's hardly ever a problem...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I was 92" wide on my old M715 with 39.5's and HATED IT! My new 'mog rig is 84. I like it a LOT better!

WEPS

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Don't the hummer rims fit 406's well? I think the back spacing would be a plus. I think its all a matter of preference and the trails you run. I'm at pretty much the same width as scout axles ~60" wms-wms, a little wider in the front then the rear and I run 10 inch rims. I feel its a good width, stepping up to where your gonna be would be a big change. Your not gonna be able to run the same lines. In my experience in running some of the tighter trails rigs w/ full size axles have problems in sections that I can skirt right though. It can be funny to see a rig with 40+ tires have trouble in a spot a Jeep w/35s just walked. But on the other hand, the same rig just kicks my jeeps ass in other places.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ghettojeep said:
Don't the hummer rims fit 406's well?
not a chance. i mean you MIGHT be able to get em on if yo ground the everliving piss outtah the calipers. I'm not willing to do that though. BS will be whatever i choose it to be really.
I've never had anything this wide. I know im going to have to take stupid silly lines in some places that i never had problems before. was just wonding what the general concensus was on width.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I am running ful width axles (14B and Dana 60) with hummer rims that were recentered to 4.25 inch offest with 42s and I am extremely happy with the width.

In some cases, wider axles means more hang-ups on the diffs if the tires are too short, but since you are running mogs i don't see that becoming an issue if you stay with your present tire size. In other words, you will like.

edit, oh and one other thing: I used to be scout width and I always thought it was a good compromise with tires in the 36 to 37 inch range. I ran neutral offset wheels and could fit into tight areas fairly easily. Now I just drive over those tight areas and straddle them. :D

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
My old rig was 93" outside to outside and the trails I wheel here on the east coast are pretty tight.

It hardly ever was a problem and I'd say it was an advantage many more times than a disadvantage. That being said, the rig I'm building now is going to be about 85" which I think is more of a happy medium.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
What wheelbase? Is this the same jeep that you were trying to sell forever?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
redneckengineered said:
My old rig was 93" outside to outside and the trails I wheel here on the east coast are pretty tight.

It hardly ever was a problem and I'd say it was an advantage many more times than a disadvantage. That being said, the rig I'm building now is going to be about 85" which I think is more of a happy medium.
Nice rig. We are going to be in Tellico Oct 15 and 16th. You are more than welcome to join us. Looking forward to some killer terrain after the Francis and Ivan have dumped their rain.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
braxton357 said:
What wheelbase? Is this the same jeep that you were trying to sell forever?
yes same jeep.

wb is going to be ~105"

·
Hello Govna
2,878 Posts
hey sceep, i too am about 93" depending on tire pressure/sidewall bulge. wheelbase is 117", of course, i've only had it on the trail once so far but the stability is awesome. and who cares how wide and the silly lines i'll have to take cause i've got rear steer :flipoff2: . my old rig was about the same width but it's wheelbase was 145" and weighed 7100 lbs :shaking: . turning sucked but she flexed well. the other pain is trailering. if you are gonna be that is. my deck over trailer is 8' wide and i use all of it. hope the input is useful to ya. :)

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
rock-rod said:
Nice rig. We are going to be in Tellico Oct 15 and 16th. You are more than welcome to join us. Looking forward to some killer terrain after the Francis and Ivan have dumped their rain.
I'm pretty sure that the pictured heep is now cut up into little pieces... :(

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
rock-rod said:
I used to be scout width and I always thought it was a good compromise with tires in the 36 to 37 inch range. I ran neutral offset wheels and could fit into tight areas fairly easily. Now I just drive over those tight areas and straddle them. :D
I'm running 35s now and will be running 37 Krawlers as soon as get 17" rims. Seems to work well, but if there is open area I get stomped by the bigger rigs. I'm hoping that running Krawlers instead of xterrians will help me keep up. I wish I was wider, but I'm stuck where I'm at until I can find a cheap 60.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I would aim for the 87 " version as the trails here in the southwest aren't ment for 8 footers...now if you plan on wheeling to the east in Okie...go wide and long...you'll need it!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
braxton357 said:
I'm pretty sure that the pictured heep is now cut up into little pieces... :(
Oh well, I guess it was a nice rig. :(

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
ghettojeep said:
I'm running 35s now and will be running 37 Krawlers as soon as get 17" rims. Seems to work well, but if there is open area I get stomped by the bigger rigs. I'm hoping that running Krawlers instead of xterrians will help me keep up. I wish I was wider, but I'm stuck where I'm at until I can find a cheap 60.
The 37s will definitely make a difference.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
rock-rod said:
The 37s will definitely make a difference.
Edit: I'm hoping, it seems like every fawking hole on the trails I run was made by 35" tires. I just hope my D44's hold up, glad I got uberspares. :D

I'm gonna make some calls now, I don't know if anybody in Denver has 17"s in stock. Dammit I need these mounted.

Attachments

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
sceep said:
I've never had anything this wide. I know im going to have to take stupid silly lines in some places that i never had problems before.
that's all part of the fun... :D

93" here, wouldn't mind being narrower, but I love the stupid off camber stuff I can pull off as I am.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
ghettojeep said:
Edit: I'm hoping, it seems like every fawking hole on the trails I run was made by 35" tires. I just hope my D44's hold up, glad I got uberspares. :D

I'm gonna make some calls now, I don't know if anybody in Denver has 17"s in stock. Dammit I need these mounted.

Is thems red labels? (sorry sceep :flipoff2:)

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
93" is pretty wide.
You will be forced to take whatever line you can fit into in many instances.
Im at 83", my rig is extremely stable on side hills, and awsome for manueverability on trails.
I would suggest running cutting brakes to avoid the 4 point turns in the really tight stuff.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts