Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How would you mount a new radiator?

No, I don't mean doggie or mish.

I am going to open up the bulkheads all the way to the body mounts and go with a universal 33x19 2 row aluminum job. I was planning on mounting it in the stock scout style, but after reading the thread over on BB vb on the rubber mounts they are using I am wondering if I should go with a chevy type with rubber between the rad and some homemade clamps.

How much trouble are you guys having with flex and radiator leaks?

If starting from scratch would you stick with the scout flange style, the scout flange style with the rubber isolaters, or a chevy style?

BTW I am going to get it from Brian McCoulgh in Az. He has been very helpful and will add some tweaks for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,797 Posts
Find a way to isolate it, you;ll be miles ahead. At least allow the radiator to have a fighting chance in the event of a hard hit or big drop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Hey ChiScouter, you ever wheel down here at the Badlands? I finally got my Scout out here from CO last fall, and have been down there a few times, but all I ever see there is J**ps. Just curious. If you ever wanna' check it out, or are headed down there let me know, I'm only 20 minutes away.

Aubrey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
jdjanda said:
Find a way to isolate it, you;ll be miles ahead. At least allow the radiator to have a fighting chance in the event of a hard hit or big drop

what would be a safe distance from fan to radiator, my front end is pretty beafy,not worried about front hit much... with pusher fan mounted and everything set, I have an 1 1/4 " between the two, seems a little close? probably should go electric on the engine side too I guess...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,797 Posts
harkinoff said:



what would be a safe distance from fan to radiator, my front end is pretty beafy,not worried about front hit much... with pusher fan mounted and everything set, I have an 1 1/4 " between the two, seems a little close? probably should go electric on the engine side too I guess...

I've got about the same distance. Once I installed new motor and tranny mounts I have no worries about contact. Even a nose plant off a three foot ledge and no contact. Bad motor mount and tranny mount cost me a radiator (2 1/2") clearance.

If you have a 4 core rad you can forget about electrical fans pulling enough air to keep it cool BTDT
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pablo955 said:
Hey ChiScouter, you ever wheel down here at the Badlands? I finally got my Scout out here from CO last fall, and have been down there a few times, but all I ever see there is J**ps. Just curious. If you ever wanna' check it out, or are headed down there let me know, I'm only 20 minutes away.

Aubrey

I have been up on blocks since mid summer, hope to get down there to shake the rig down when done. The Scout is in Lowell, about 45 miles North of you. Muskyman has a awsome Scout, he is n/w of the city. and visits here every so often
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
ChiScouter said:



I have been up on blocks since mid summer, hope to get down there to shake the rig down when done. The Scout is in Lowell, about 45 miles North of you. Muskyman has a awsome Scout, he is n/w of the city. and visits here every so often
Well, if you ever get yours up and running drop me a PM. Or, if you want some help working on it...I supervise very well! ;)

Aubrey
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top