Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how good is your problem diagnosis??

hey guys, I need your help. here's the stats. 85 cj-7 258, w/ carter carb. I have problems with is sputtering and dieing.

if ya don't wanna help, stop here:flipoff2:

ok, now heres what's up. been having this problem for a little while, but it has continually gotten worse to the point I can't drive the jeep.

what's happening. starts up fine, idles great, (carbs not the problem). however, start driving and after it warms up, it will start sputtering and sound like the carb is loading up. I have been able to associtate it to electral draw mostly. usually it will run fine, but if I turn on anything (lights, fan, heater blower) it will start the sputtering. if I turn them off, it will usually return to normal.

I have tried disconnecting the stepper motor, O2 sensor, REPLACED the ICM (which is located under the rad overflow tank, Right?) and still no change. Voltage when running according to the gauge is +14 volts, with accessories on 12-13 volts. I know there is another computer under the dash, but I don't know how to test it or where to find another.

thanks, I'm gonna be playing with it tonight and I will let you know of any more developments. thanks

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
Sounds like your alternater's junk. Or the belt's slippin. Did you have it tested? Also 12's not good enough.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an older alt in my spare parts bin that was working, so I think I may be trying that tonight.
The belt does squeal when its got a heavy load on it, but it'll quite down quickly.

I'll let you know.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I of course cant get it to do it again. but I am thinking that I agree about the alt. if it were the alt failing, what is happening that is causing the sudden sputters? internally shorting out? or what?

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
I think it's not enough power from the battery to charge the coil in time for the next spark. Not sure. Anyone?

·
Registered
766 Posts
That would mean he has to have a very low charged battery as well. Have you checked the battery for its level of charge?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts