Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed the howell system on my 88 YJ 4.2L CA jeep. I have been on the phone with Troy from howell trying to figure this out ALL summer. I have installed it exactly per the instructions. in fact it was running and diving for a couple of days (just test runs). It was pinging at higher RPMS so i was adjusting timing and then while it was adjusted to 7 degrees it let out a small cloud of black smoke and died and has never ran for more than a couple minutes since that point. We have done every test i can do from home, changed the computer, changed the tac filter, dropped the gas tank and changed sending unit. The latest thing I did was replace the tac filter again, i turned it over and it starts, I'm so happy, and then it does the same thing as always it dies after a minute of running and won't start back up. It was suggested i put it on oscilloscope but other thought would be great

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
When I had a similar problem with this kit it ended up being the throttle body... twice:shaking:
Its been a little while so I can't remember exactly how I diagnosed it the second time but I read that manual about twenty times without much help from Howell. It also took several months to resolve.

Is there an excessive amount of pressure at the gas cap when it is running? I remember having to swap my return and vent lines to something larger. Try running it with the cap off to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
204 Posts
on mine, happened that the little clamp/fork that keeps injectors in place was loose so they popped up just a little and allowed the gas to escape with no control, they almost flooed the intake but the engine was running just rough at low RPM, not sure if this helps you a bit...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Try checking the fuel pump. Do you have a FP gauge? Probably a good idea to install one anyway to help quickly diagnose fuel related issues. I had a similar issue on a 85 CJ 4.2, that I installed a Howell kit. Mine was dumping too much fuel. From what I remember, and this was a years ago, my howell kit used a GM 4.3L FP.

GL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts