Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help since Howell's tech line is closed on weekends.

I searched the previous posts for help but couldn't find anything with the same issue.

I installed the Howell on my CJ7, 1984, 258. Other than the TBI it is bone stock. I followed the instructions to the letter. After all was installed, checked and checked again, I jumped in the drivers seat for what should have been the crowning moment of glory. Not so. It started just fine. But it poured black smoke from the exhaust. It is getting way too much fuel. I unplugged one of the injectors and the Jeep started to idle closer to what it should, but still pours out smoke under acceleration.

Any suggestions while waiting for Howell to open?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I do not have a pressure guage at the moment. As for the pump. it is the stock pump supplied by Howell (11-12psi).

My buddy came over with his 83 CJ7, same Howell kit. We checked all wiring and vacumm routing. They match exactly.

·
Banned
294 Posts
i chased the same problem for a about an hour after i installed the kit on a customers jeeps. it turns out the return line was rusted shut. i ran a new line to the tank and it ran perfect. same symptoms, unplug one injector and it ran like a scalded dog, once i ran the new return line it ran like a champ. without that bypass ability it will force the fuel out and run rich. take care of the problem ASAP. that little problem caused fuel to hydro lock the engine a few time while i was chasing the problem and it caused the brand new camshaft to fail. this jeep had a brand new motor (75 miles)when he bought it from us. he brought it back and wanted the injection added, i shaved the head .040, put a nice fat cam in it, a header, and flowmaster exaust. with all the bugs worked out that bitch runs like a bat outa hell now.
clay

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
or if your return line is too small (5/16" min. if I remember) it will cause an excess pressure build up. That is a problem I encountered when I use to run TBI. Also make sure your tank is venting properly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input.

I finally contacted Howell. They are suggesting the same thing about the return line. I'm not able to work on it during the week due to work schedule, but this weekend I plan on checking the fuel line.

Can I just run a new hose or do I need to replace the hard line with another hard line?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Hmm

for the sake of experimentation, you can pull the return line and run it into a gas can. Just to see if this is in fact the source of the problem.

Stock CJ return line is 1/4".
________
Web shows

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I finally contacted Howell. They are suggesting the same thing about the return line. I'm not able to work on it during the week due to work schedule, but this weekend I plan on checking the fuel line.

Can I just run a new hose or do I need to replace the hard line with another hard line?
a hardline would be best to run, but return pressure is not that much so a fuel compatible rubber line would be ok, but it is unsafe to have that long of a rubber fuel line.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update for anyone that is going to be installing the Howell.

I replaced the soft line from the end of the fuel return line to the tank. While I had it all apart I blew the hard line out with the compressor. Put it all back together and the thing ran great (in the garage).

I sourced an air filter form the local auto shop and installed that today. Of course the test drive brought out a whole new problem. Upon hard acceleration, the Jeep was starving for fuel and cutting out and lurching badly.

Based on the problem that was fixed earlier, I replaced the soft line from the tank to the hard line on the feed side. Problem solved.

I must say the Jeep has never had so much acceleration. It dosen't feel like the same Jeep.

I would recommend this kit/upgrade to anyone running the 258 with a carb. As for the installation, Howell tells the truth, although I am not a mechanical genious, I was able to perform the swap myself (with the Pirate Board's help of course).

Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts