Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the local smog guys wont smog my jeep with the Howell TBI. they say I need to take it to the referee and come back with a BAR label.
is this fact or fiction?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does the Howel kit come with the CARB EO stickers & number? If not see if you can get them from howell.

If you dont have the EO# sticker the smog tech almost has to send you to a ref.

MP

(first por post, hope the nomex works.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is the 258 CA legal kit, and It did have the label on it. but, they don't trust it. they want a BAR label on it before they will touch it. guess I'll need to go to the ref.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I am not from Cali but I was always under the impression if an aftermarket part had the EO # then it was certified and was good to go. It would not be up to an individual to "not trust it" and send you off to a ref. Good luck and fight hard.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scrambler you are correct, but the smog techs are not all super smart guys. and a modification like the Howell JP-1 kit is too much for them to digest.

In reality they are telling me that they are not technically qualified to verify that I performed the modification correctly. of course they verbalize their insecurity buy saying , "no you are wrong." "this won't pass. " "you were supposed to go to the referee straight off." "in mt 2 years of expieriance... blah blah blah.

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
The smog techs are being told to turn anything that they are not confortable with over to the ref. It sounds like you have everything in place but the tech "is't comfortable" with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I told them that I could accept that as an answer. that if they wanted to error of the side of caution it was cool.

but, they were very sure that it "HAD" to go to the ref. and that it HAD to have a BAR label and I feel sorry for them that they don't know how to do their job. that something like this challenges their ability past the maximum. the first guy didn't look at it for longer the 10 seconds before he started coughing up excuses. He tried to tech babel me but unfortunately I just installed the kit my self so I know where all the stuff is and what it is called.

In the end I was un able to get the guy to use his brain. I'm sure it is California schools fault. or his parents fault.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got an appointment with the referee for next Monday. easy. the ref also only charges $30 for the test + $8 for the cert. :p

that is $40 dollars cheaper then the :flipoff2: smog shop. ( we run the dyno up here, bar97)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
got my appointment, no waiting. professional people.

the referee passed it. $38 bucks + free retests for a year.

he had done lots of howells. I said I got TBI, he said you got a Howell.

It is nice to work with competent people.

The referee couldn't get me a BAR label. because it is not an engine swap. and it is legal as is with the EO.

and the smog shop pretest is a scam. if it fails, then have to take it to a test only or the referee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts