Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hydro Steering Mounting

Oh yah, and what about mounting is it better to go directly to the steering arm or connect it to the tie rod---I've heard there can be problems with the tire rod wanting to rotate when the rams connected to the tire rod itself.:confused:

OOP'S thanx for the link!!

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Re: Hydro Steering Mounting

Twisted-Up-Toy said:
Oh yah, and what about mounting is it better to go directly to the steering arm or connect it to the tie rod---I've heard there can be problems with the tire rod wanting to rotate when the rams connected to the tire rod itself.
I have a writeup on it below:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleTech/index.shtml#Hydraulic

I had some trouble with the tie rod rotating with the ram stroke initially. To minimize it, I set the rod ends offset from each other to only allow just enough rotation to handle the lock to lock steering. Then I used a little Loctite to keep them from loosening up (which was the main problem with the rotation). Its held fine for 2 years now.

BTW: The Howe p/s pump is very nice, I think it would be a good upgrade to the stock pump.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I guess a nice benefit of the texas and rockstomper kits is you don't have to remove and replace the PS pump. Do you think the stock pump would work fine? I have a spare pump so if it went bad I already have a replacement.

I like the place 4crawler mounted his ram. Anybody else have any pics on where they mounted their ram?

Thanks,

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
i have the howe unit. what you guys need to know is that this is the same system that jeff howe has been building for the ;ast 12 years for the off road desert racing guys. it is top of the line equipment. mine works flawlessly and i have been running howes systems in my race cars for over 10 years.

that said i am in the process of doing a rockstomper system and will have a write up on it soon. it looks like a decent system for the money.

money permiting i would recomend the howe steering, but i think the rockstomper setup is a great deal and would give it a shot. scott is a stand up guy and will help ya make it work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just did the rockstomper assist kit in my truck. The only part I didnt like was trying to find a 14mm tap on a sunday. Harbor Frieght was the only place that had it and was open. Rocklogic4x4 makes one that is the same as rockstomper, but has all the 90* fittings on the hose and makes it cleaner looking and keeps the hoses closer to the axle insteed of going straight out from the ram.

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/ramassist.html[/URL]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts