Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend is an excellent tig welder and once claimed he could prolly weld 2 gum wrappers together.what if i were to take a shock absorber(1.5 tube x .625 rod)and mill a hole in the side at either end.then have him tig 2 threaded bungs over the holes.would this work for a cheap hyd assist steering setup?everything seems to be there except the in and outs.
your thoughts.:confused:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
no it will not work

shocks have bypass valves if they didnt your vehicle would have no shock movement.
you would also have to make sure it was a tru mono tube shock

sooo for the price you spend on a mono tube shock,remove the bypass valve and make sealed,buy fittings you have just spent more money on something that is weaker than a 1.5 hydrualic cylinder.
look on ebay or buy a new one from redneck ram and be happy and safe

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
hate to be an arse, but I would think Common since would have answered this question, if you are familiar with how any automotive parts work. Just a suggestion, keep the custom home built mods to a min, untill you have a bit more experiance.

of course, if you were just kidding when you posted this, you got me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
of course, if you were just kidding when you posted this, you got me.

ha ha i got ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually i was serious but realize now that it was a dumb idea.there just doesnt seem to be much of a demand for welding gum wrappers together:D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
cherokeechief79 said:

are you suggesting i go with even smaller than 1.5?what do you recommend?:confused:
Well, take a look at what AGR uses for their assists. I run a 1" cylinder. It should provide plenty of Ummpf without slowing me down too much. I have 3 or 4 extra cylinders with an 8" stroke if you really want one. I have two bigger ones, and one smaller one, easier to mount. I would post some pics, but I lost my star:( .

·
Registered
41 Posts
we use 2 inch cylinders on our buggys. Jason loves the bigger ones. The are slow enought to use on the road and way strong in the rocks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
twistedmetal said:

Well, take a look at what AGR uses for their assists. I run a 1" cylinder. It should provide plenty of Ummpf without slowing me down too much. .
Huh?
Dumb question, maybe, but what DOES agr use?
A 1" ram at 1200 psi produces 942# of force on the strong side, and if it has a 5/8 rod, it produces 582 # of force on the weak side. Is my math right??
:confused:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
pauleroady said:
we use 2 inch cylinders on our buggys. Jason loves the bigger ones. The are slow enought to use on the road and way strong in the rocks.
Yes, but that is FULL HYDRO. We are talking about hydro assist. What's Paule up to? Tell him I need a job and I have my own equipment.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welding two gum wrappers together might be good if you chew Doublemint... Other than that, NO FUTURE in it. Go with an after market Ram!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Scout Dude said:
Well, if AGR is using 1" rams, that explains why they are always breaking...those things are peices of shit!

I use a 1.5" and it's not slow at all...Twisted- I think your brain is a little twisted on this topic:flipoff2:
No way, dood. My brain's as straight as a pubic hair! The 1.5 might be fine, but they were starting to get up into the 2" range and it does start to slow down a system. Besides, your idea of slow and mine may be different. :flipoff2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts