Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentleman,

Long time reader, first time poster (as far as posting for a question)

Heres my situation, im trying to get this hp 44 (dynatrac built in 2001) into the front end of my xj. specs are as follows

standard width
4 link (running tnt customs radius arms)
stock wheelbase + 3/4" movement of springs so steering would clear
wj knuckle swap (with euro knuckle, and OTK flip) 2 hi arms, with inverted t one ton steering.
1/4" spacers obviously with 2001 timken hubs.
arb. gears chromies, blah blah blah.....

so, the previous owner thrashed the right side brackets. to include tearing off the track bar mount and the front of the coil bucket on his mj

I purchased the axle, along with a ballistic fab tj/xj combo bracket setup and ruff stuff panhard kit.

Im trying to set the pinion angle appropriatly however from a few differnt threads and multiple searches i am getting conflicting information.

another person who built a hp 44 for an xj at 6" of lift set their pinion angle to 13 degrees.

while someone else said for around that height with 6" the pinion should be around 7 degrees.

i was running a lp 30 before, (stock 2000 xj) and at 5" on 35's i wasn't having any issues. But i was also running utk steering and track bar.

here are the threads i had been using for reference.

Bolt In High Pinion Dana 44 - JeepForum.com

and Dana 44 Tech - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

im not asking for a miracle answer, just hoping someone else that has already done this might have some insight. i will attach pictures of the axle, and show where i am taking my measuments from.

Previous owners damage to axle brackets.

axle with pinion set at 13 degrees, with coil bucket resting at 0.0

Is it just me or does the pinion angle look ridiculously high?

again, i havent put it under the vehicle yet.

Go easy guys, this is my first time posting here and i know how the questions threads usually go. First time doing a non bolt in axle swap.

·
5,599 Posts
You didnt turn the knuckles, you cant just point the pinion up and keep the knuckles to the same clocking, your close to 0 degrees caster.

You need to lean back the knuckles to about 7 degrees caster, that will bring you pinion lower.

If you cut the knuckle welds you can clock them to 7degrees and do what ever you want to make the pinion angle correct. I would keep the knuckles welded and set them to 7 degrees caster and weld your brackets on at that clocking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i set the pinion at around 7-8* the caster is right at 7* the previous owner told me the caster was already set up for 6.5* for his MJ @ 6" lift with 35's. So essentially identical lift.

The welds for the inner c's are visually unnoticeable, im thinking because it was a manufactured axle and not a custom built one?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didnt turn the knuckles, you cant just point the pinion up and keep the knuckles to the same clocking, your close to 0 degrees caster.

You need to lean back the knuckles to about 7 degrees caster, that will bring you pinion lower.

If you cut the knuckle welds you can clock them to 7degrees and do what ever you want to make the pinion angle correct. I would keep the knuckles welded and set them to 7 degrees caster and weld your brackets on at that clocking.
Thank you for the quick response. ill find a happy medium between the two, with caster being more important than the pinion, if i wasnt getting vibes with a lp 30, im sure ill be fine with the hp 44 being around 7-8*

Set caster first. Pinion angle is what it is.
COPY that good man. thank you again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i went out and moved it around. If i set my caster at 5* my pinion angle is right at 7*

im sitting right at 5" of lift. (with stock coil buckets on a 30. So it could theoretically change with the new ballistic fab brackets)

Im thinking 7* should be fine for pinion angle with my 242 and front ds having no issues before when i had slightly more lift and a lp 30.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Front has a cv driveshaft and with the high pinion you can get away with less angle get your caster set proper and where ever the pinion points thats it. If I had to guess it would be around 5* but it don't matter much unless you where not running a cv.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front has a cv driveshaft and with the high pinion you can get away with less angle get your caster set proper and where ever the pinion points thats it. If I had to guess it would be around 5* but it don't matter much unless you where not running a cv.
Correct sir, i am running a stock front xj cv driveshaft. im reading on some other sites that 4.5* caster may be more appropriate for my lift height. but ill set it at 5* with my 7* of pinion angle.

Weld my coil buckets level with those settings, then from their if i have to adjust more or less, well thats what adjustable upper's are for :D

Thank you all for the quick responses.

hoping to have it in the vehicle and on the road running smooth by aug 9th. so i can take it up to gulches orv here in sc. :D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts