Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the funds to get a ford HP Kingpin 60 to go in the front of my TJ. I do not want to runner hummer rims, so I am going to narrow it to 65 inches to match my rear narrowed 60. Which, ford axle is the best for this swap a 78-79 or an 80-89 (i.e. I only want to cut the long side down, but I want the pinion to relatively line up with my T-Caseand I need room for the link setup).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
80-92 i belive u only have to cut down one-side. its been done on here but i cant rember who did it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
you use the 80-92 style and only have to cut down the long side.
I spoke to adam at claytonoffroad not to long ago about the very topic. if you need info on it im sure those guys would be glad to assist you

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
As was said above the later KP housings are better for that.
Invest in good grinding wheels, those inner C's have a lot of weld on them.
Took Oxy/Act and 35tons to press mine off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I did a search for blueangel it looks like he went with a 79 60 and cout the short side down. http://www.geocities.com/rg_sabat/

I also found PT writeup he went 63 inches with using a 80-92. So it looks like I could go either way.

PTs

·
Registered
939 Posts
Looks like blueangel just narrowed the short side to the 80's shaft. I am going to cut a 78 down 1" on the driver side to a chevy shaft length and 3" on the long side which will be custom length. This way the coil bucket will be on the tube instead of being partial on the diff.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Cutting down the short side by 1" isn't going to be easy. Your inner "C" is about 2" thick where it presses on the tube, so that means when you go to press the knuckle back on, you'll be straddling the spot where the knuckle was originally welded on, which will be difficult at best. I'd either cut more, or none if I were you.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ya, that is the part I am worried about. I am just going to go slow and try not to grind more than I have too.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
However, looking at PTs build It looks like I would have to move the coil buckets back to clear the centersection. Looking at my jeep if the centersection is shifted too far inward it will hit the header, So I need to come up with some exact dimensions of both styles to see which one will work the best.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Here's a link to pictures of how I narrowed my 79, hp60, 2.75" driver side. I didn't use a press.

Click on picture to see the whole album.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Leave the front slightly wider than the rear. Most 4x4 vehicles come from the factory this way to aid the steering process. My front is ~2" wider than the rear

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Leave the front slightly wider than the rear. Most 4x4 vehicles come from the factory this way to aid the steering process. My front is ~2" wider than the rear
seconded.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
you use the 80-92 style and only have to cut down the long side.
I spoke to adam at claytonoffroad not to long ago about the very topic. if you need info on it im sure those guys would be glad to assist you
that would be 86 to 91.5 for the knig pin, they did'nt make the 60 from 80 till 86, jason.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was doing some figuring and it may be cheaper and eaiser just to sell my rear and go fullwidth. My Dana 30 is at 75.5 inches outside of wheel to wheel (10" rims w/ 3" backspacing), If I ran a fullwidth 69.25" HP 79 60 and 5" of back spacing, with 8" rims I would be at 75".

Here is a quick Sketch I made. (by the way the sketch is based off 7" BS hummer rims)

So is there any reason I would not be able to run 5" of BS on a 60 (steering, brakes, etc.)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nope, I as most guys run H2 wheels 17x8.5 with 5.5" bs on Fullwidth 60 front. I built a 69" wms 70 rear to match the front as the dana 60 is only 66" which was to short for my liking.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was not sure I think I had heard the H2 rims were 5.5 BS, so thats good to know so I think I will just go fullwidth and make it easy on my self.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
FYI: P&Ts rig had to go bacxk to 65" WMS-WMS which caused a HUGE headache because of tire clearage...

·
Registered
136 Posts
What is everyone's experience with 60's shortened to the 63-64 range and then running the 17x8.5 with 5.5" wheels? That should keep 37x12.50's under the stock "looking" 7 inch aftermarket fender flares... But how much mobility is there? And is there enough room to keep the front swaybar links away from the steering arms?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts