Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a hp d44 that doesn't have the cast wedges. I was told cast wedges were only used in 78-79. Is this the case? Can someone please post pics of cast wedge vs weld on? Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a hp 44 on my tacoma and it was out of a 77' if you go to look atthe axle you will be able to see a weld on the perches. cast you wont.i would post a pic of mine but i already cut them off.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...I was thinking that I needed a pre 78 axle...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't seen many x-cabs in the local junk yards....but I will keep my eyes open

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm looking for a hp d44 that doesn't have the cast wedges. I was told cast wedges were only used in 78-79. Is this the case? Can someone please post pics of cast wedge vs weld on? Thanks

Mine came from a 78/79 Bronco and had the WELDED wedges. Some were welded, some were cast. I believe the Mr.N website has pics of both (iirc).

·
Registered
214 Posts
hp 44

77 1/2 - 79 f250 had leaf spring hp 44's i have that in my taco and no cutting. i also have a 78 ford hp 44 with cast wedges it can be retubed or link your front 250.00 obo

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found an earily 70s f250 but it has closed knuckles. It's leaf sprung but I heard that the closed knuckle axles were weaker that the open ones.
Also....wasn't there another frount axle used in those trucks? Someone told me that it was a Spicer 60. They also said that it was about the same strength as a 44 but was really had to find parts for...shafts, breaks, and there wernt many aftermarket gear sets made for them. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I found an earily 70s f250 but it has closed knuckles. It's leaf sprung but I heard that the closed knuckle axles were weaker that the open ones.
Also....wasn't there another frount axle used in those trucks? Someone told me that it was a Spicer 60. They also said that it was about the same strength as a 44 but was really had to find parts for...shafts, breaks, and there wernt many aftermarket gear sets made for them. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
The F-250 Camper Specials had High Pinion, Kingpin, Drivers drop D60's under them. The ring gears are pretty beefy, and they come in a ton of ratios. In the older 1970's D60 models the stub shaft tapered down at the hub and they're prone to snapping. But once you replace it with the 35 splines they're pretty damn beefy.

BTW, who told you it was hard to find parts for a 60 :confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
76 f150 had half inch thick tubes.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
due to school and work....I'm going with a waggy front and stock taco rear. being locked up on 315s will have to due me for a while....:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts