Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using to bost up the hp on you toy 22re motors?????I'm going with a header and free flowing exaust. New plugs and wires......maybe a good air filter.........just wondering what everybody is using to make the most of ther 4 poper:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Pat said:
Bumping up the afm 3 clicks is always a good one with the exaust and stuff.. A mild cam is also nice with the afm adjustment...
After the warrenty is up on my new motor I'd like to put in a cam. What kind of cam do you or anyone recommend. I was thinking an R.V. cam might be the best:confused: Is there a different one that might work better? What brands do you'all recommend?

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Pat said:
Bumping up the afm 3 clicks is always a good one with the exaust and stuff.. A mild cam is also nice with the afm adjustment...
I Personnally had absolutely no luck doing this. Sure it would seem to run a bit better right after I did it but after a bit of driving the performance when back to normal. Just my opinion.

EngnBldr, LC and Doa all have good cams. TRD ones SUCK!

Thorley and LC have good headers.

Filterchargers are nice. I built my own using a 5" filter, most companys use 3" filters.

Under drive pulleys my LC are suppose to work but I don't have them.

Adjustable Timing Gear buy LC is a nice tweak to have.

LC also has Stroker kits, Turbo kits and Superchargers if you have deep pockets, I don't have deep pockets!

Bored out throttle bodys nad plenums will boost HP, they are made by DOA and LC.

Upgrading to the new style TB and plenum will boost throttle response and performance. I'm running a 94 intake on mine.

Porting and polishing everything will help.

Oversized valves and injectors can also help in getting more gas and air into the engine.

Computer upgrades are VERY expensive for the 22RE series engines.

There are debates on removing the EGR and Cat's for HP gains. I won't get started on that one.

Those are some of the basic's that are on the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I run the LC cam and header on mine and K&N filter wich all made some improvement.
The two things that made the biggest differance that I could feel was proper gearing and an electric fan
taking off the stock fan made more of improvement than all the other mods

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4RnrRick said:

I Personnally had absolutely no luck doing this. Sure it would seem to run a bit better right after I did it but after a bit of driving the performance when back to normal. Just my opinion.

EngnBldr, LC and Doa all have good cams. TRD ones SUCK!

Thorley and LC have good headers.

Filterchargers are nice. I built my own using a 5" filter, most companys use 3" filters.

Under drive pulleys my LC are suppose to work but I don't have them.

Adjustable Timing Gear buy LC is a nice tweak to have.

LC also has Stroker kits, Turbo kits and Superchargers if you have deep pockets, I don't have deep pockets!

Bored out throttle bodys nad plenums will boost HP, they are made by DOA and LC.

Upgrading to the new style TB and plenum will boost throttle response and performance. I'm running a 94 intake on mine.

Porting and polishing everything will help.

Oversized valves and injectors can also help in getting more gas and air into the engine.

Computer upgrades are VERY expensive for the 22RE series engines.

There are debates on removing the EGR and Cat's for HP gains. I won't get started on that one.

Those are some of the basic's that are on the top of my head.

:eek: :eek: ..........Thanks man:eek: :eek: ........What year are the new style TB and plenum start at

·
Registered
392 Posts
My opinion, trying to get much more power out of a 22re is a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, the 22re is a fine motor. I'll keep mine as long as it will live. But if you want reliable power you're better off going with a bigger (more cubes) motor.
I wonder if anybody has fit a slant six in a toy?
You can put a cam, headers, bored intake, exhaust on a 22re and it will help a little. But I wouldn't bother unless you needed to replace those parts anyway. Face it, the 22re is a smallish motor for the vehicle size and weight. big pluses are it is strong and reliable. I hate going up mountain passes at 45 mph as much as the next guy. But when I get where I'm going the mostly stock 22re works just fine thankyou....
If I wanted more power I'd probably go v6 or v8 chevy engine just cause it is so easy. The supra I6 would also be seriusly considered.

·
Registered
220 Posts
92' 22re here with a DOA C270 cam, LC adj cam gear, thorley header, and some port match work on the head and intake, and it's punched .030 over and with the 529 it's like a race truck, well not really but I drive it like one!! The cam is kinda mild but works well with the other mods. What type of electric fan setup is everyone using?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Turbocharging Has worked well for me. I have a 86 4.10 gears 33 inch tires,and the only proof I have is after attending a cruise night last summer on the way home I raced a 2wd 4cyl taco that had exhaust and intake mods he got me off the line but halfway through 2nd gear I drove past him and continued to pullaway up to @ 65mph where I backed off. Just Imo good luck. btw the quickest toyota I know is running a multiport fuel injected 350chevy:eek:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm just looking for a cheap way to bost power in my 22re until it die's .........once it die's it will be replaced with a SB 350;)

It sounds like the fan thing is a cheap why to gain some needed power.........:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.