Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NERD
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a seal for my disco HP30 housing for the life of me. It's the cast housing and had disc brakes before the tear down. Does anyone know why the hell I can't find the right seal?

Napa #11800 and #11899 are WRONG. I could care less if I seal the shaft where the disco used to be. I want to seal the diff and that's it, that's all I want. Why the fawk is that so hard??? I'm ready to throw in one of the seals that is just a tad too big with way too much RTV and have it be supported by the carrier bearing.

Anyone have some help for me? :confused:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would supose you are doing away with the dissconect and installing the TJ axle. Here are some #.This is a Warn # that came with there kit., since Warn has sold their axle set up to Randys Ring & Pinion you may be able to get the part from them. # Warn 37897 , Chicago Rawhide #cr-11343,national #471763,Quadratec #471763,NS# 471354. I used one of these but it was so long ago I dont rember which.The pass. side pig is not machined for a seal so will not be a great fit.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I got a 'SKF' taiwan brand PN#11899 seal from Kragen/O'Reilly just a couple weeks ago and it worked out fine, seated it with a few light taps with the rubber mallet. Maybe you got the axle built on a friday... Or maybe I did. :confused:
good luck to ya

·
NERD
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:laughing: Maybe!

I have the 11899 right now, trying to get it in. Let me get this straight...you put the seal in on the passenger's side of the diff right? Where the carrier sits, correct? And you hit it with a mallet? What the FAWK! :laughing: :confused:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yea pretty much, pulled the carrier, cleaned the tube with some brakleen and just slobbered some super black RTV on it and it went in, like a seal should.

FWIW- If you're close to me, I've got a d30 from a zj minus axles sitting here. Originally I was gonna steal the long side tube for mine, but just made a blockoff plate instead. Figured it wasn't worth it, planning to upgrade in the semi near future.

·
NERD
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year is your axle? Obviously it has the disco. I'm in OlyWA so can't get that axle. I already put a lot of work into this axle so I don't want this seal to stop me. How hard was it to just tap in there? Did it pop in or is it just sitting in there?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've got a '91 YJ, the zj axle is a '93.
It was snug, but not so much that it galled the tube or the outer part of the seal. Probably less than 10 taps to seat it, with a 14oz mallet.

If yours is too big, you might try putting a piece of tubing thru the center and taking it to a bench grinder to grind down the O.D. It won't be machinist qualty perfection, but with some RTV it'll work, at least for awhile. Entry level booty-fab, this.:D

·
NERD
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yup, I got an 87 housing I believe. For some reason the YJ housings have a slightly different tubing ID. The 11800 is too small, it just slides in there. I could put some RTV on it and use that, but I don't really like that option. I'll use it as a last resort or a temporary solution.

I'm still boggled at the fact that you tapped it in from outside the pumpkin. I gotta try that, but it seems unlikely it would go in. I'll probably have to grind down the OD like you said. I was already thinking I would, but figured I'd ask first.

That seals-it link is awesome. I might have to pickup one of those! The 11899 is already $16 so I might as well go for the gold and get that thing then forget about it. Thanks!

EDIT: Now that I think about it...I'm just going to return the 11899 tomorrow and order one of those badass seals now. I could get my $16 back and have a seal that will never leak. Awesome! If only I could call Randy's Ring and Pinion and tell them their kit SUCKS. :(

·
NERD
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
NERD
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, seal is in the housing, back together. So far, no leaks, but I need to put a little more gear oil in the diff. I'm thinking of throwing an Aussie in there very soon so I might hold off until I decide what I'm doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts