Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone foresee any oiling problems by using taking an hp60 chunk and using it for a custom rear axle build? it`ll see alot of miles on and off road.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
It will be just fine. Might want to overfill with gear oil if they pinion if it is pointing up. If the pinion is level, then it just be just fine.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
One important lesson I learned is to fill the diff with the pinion pointed DOWN when breaking in new bearings. It will fill up the cavity around the outer bearing. You can also pack the pinion bearings with a compatible grease to ease the break in also.

Little history. I set up my front and rear diffs and wanted to break them in easily. filled with fluids with rear pinion pointed up ~15 degrees. Drove about 5mph around the block and just as I got back to my driveway the rear axle bound up completely. The outer pinion bearing froze to the pinion. Lesson learned. The light oil I put on during assembly is not enough to lube the bearings if you don't drive fast enough to sling oil up in the passage.

When I replaced the bearins I packed them with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. It mixes well with Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and allows the bearings to be fully lubricated during the break in phase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts