Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy --

I'm upgrading my drivetrain on my '97 TJ 6 cyl and trying to take the advice of the folks who say "only do it once".. :)

I'll have 35" (maybe 37's) tires initially, with a max of 39's at some point I'd imagine. With my 35's (or 37's) I plan on 4.5" of lift (RE 4.5" springs) with either RE's long arm kit, or a custom tri link. plus a 1" body/motor mount lift.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of RCD60's from 78-79 ford's, and run them full width. I'd obviously have to have the rear RC60 re tubed with the tubes from a standard D60 (any other options?).

Will I run into any clearance/binding issues with a humungous reverse cut 60, and such a (relatively) small amount of lift? (either front OR back) What about my track bars if I keep them? From what I've seen, it LOOKS lik it will work, but is there any trick to make it work?

I've used the search button :flipoff2: and come up with all sorts of juicy bits on RC60's (although I still have more questions, but those can wait until i've done more research :)) but haven't found anything about this in particular.

·
Registered
703 Posts
4.5" is plenty of lift for 37s and will work great with those axles. I'm running the RE 4.5" coils and have HP60 rear with no problem and a HP44 with zero issues.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There is a guy I know that uses this board from time to time (anger mgmt) who is re-building-up his TJ with a HP 44 and a Dana 60 on a short lift, ~4" if I remeber correctly. He said he was kind of forced to go with the HP 44 up front over the HP60 due to clearance issues. When you throw a pig that fat under a cluttered TJ front end with a short lift there will be clearance issues. He had trouble clearing everything with highsteer and hydro assist. I guess you could make it work but you would have to either make some trackbar, oil pan, frame, ect. modifications or make some suspension/steering comprimises.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts