Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing a quick search, yielded no definite answers.

Im swapping in a HP D44 from a 77 F150 into my TJ...chevy knuckles, ford brakes. What will I need to do to get my TJ brake lines to fit? Will I need to ream out the banjo bolt to fit or will it simply fit on as is?

I havent looked to far into it, just hoping to get everything prepared before the teardown next week.

TIA

·
Registered
306 Posts
I believe that I had to drill out the banjo hole in my yj brake lines to work with the ford brakes and ford banjo bolt. Easy task though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What peej said. I slightly drilled out the banjo holes in my TJ's lines to work with the chevy calipers and banjo bolt.

·
Registered
273 Posts
can u tell me more of what ur brakes are set up with, did u use chevy and ford parts, which ones.

my HP44 has drums and i was told to much shit to make it work. can u help.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
For the 79 ford 1 ton disc brakes (dual pistons), the YJ/TJ brake line will bolt right up.
For the Chevy 3/4 ton disc brakes (single pistons), I used stock TJ front brake lines, but I had to drill them to 7/16" and buy 7/16" banjo bolts.

HTH

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
BlueAngel said:
For the Chevy 3/4 ton disc brakes (single pistons), I used stock TJ front brake lines, but I had to drill them to 7/16" and buy 7/16" banjo bolts.

HTH
I bought new lines. You can get RE extended CJ lines which use a 7/16 banjo bolt. If you need longer lines, Superlift makes a 30" brakeline with 7/16 that they sell with their mid-70s Chevy lift kits. This is assuming you used Chevy brakes. Ford stuff I know nothing about.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Road Head said:
I bought new lines. You can get RE extended CJ lines which use a 7/16 banjo bolt. If you need longer lines, Superlift makes a 30" brakeline with 7/16 that they sell with their mid-70s Chevy lift kits. This is assuming you used Chevy brakes. Ford stuff I know nothing about.

I used Chevy brakes in the rear and ford in the front. I didn't need anything longer than stock TJ front lines in the rear.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i did a similar swap, started with a 78 f-250 hp44, swapped to 5on5.5. used FSJ flat top knuckles, backing plates, small bearing spindles and 79ford f-150 hub and rotor. now for the calipers i had earlier model FSJ/CHEVY calipers that came off a 76. they had a 7/16 banjo. i searched a little and found that the later model (ie 85 FSJ/CHEVY) calipers had a 3/8. i used the older ones for cores and bought loaded 85 FSJ/CHEVY calipers for approx 70 bucks(best set they sold, had some for approx 35 also) from napa, they bolted right up to my TJ brake lines.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry for not replying to your email sooner Kurt. :(

TJ brake lines will bolt up fine w/ '80-ish Jeep/Chev calipers. No reaming needed, just buy the proper banjo bolts (10mm IIRC).

- Chris

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Csnyder said:
Sorry for not replying to your email sooner Kurt. :(

TJ brake lines will bolt up fine w/ '80-ish Jeep/Chev calipers. No reaming needed, just buy the proper banjo bolts (10mm IIRC).

- Chris
No problem Chris...I picked up Ford brakes...looks like I got the wrong ones. Dammit! :D Looks like Ill have to do some thinkin'

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
got 4wd said:
i did a similar swap, started with a 78 f-250 hp44, swapped to 5on5.5. used FSJ flat top knuckles, backing plates, small bearing spindles and 79ford f-150 hub and rotor. now for the calipers i had earlier model FSJ/CHEVY calipers that came off a 76. they had a 7/16 banjo. i searched a little and found that the later model (ie 85 FSJ/CHEVY) calipers had a 3/8. i used the older ones for cores and bought loaded 85 FSJ/CHEVY calipers for approx 70 bucks(best set they sold, had some for approx 35 also) from napa, they bolted right up to my TJ brake lines.
Wish I would have know that when I did my same exact swap. The only difference was I kept the older (mid 70s calipers). I would rather have had something that bolted up. Oh well, when its time to replace them, I will know what to get.

·
Registered
622 Posts
yeah, glad i could help now. its a pia trying to figure out what works and then remembering what you used. i just wrote down everything with part #'s so i wounldnt mix anything up. let me know if you need any. i kept track of everyhitng from seals and bearing to the housing and shafts.

·
Registered
622 Posts
just in case someone searches, here is the Napa part # for the calipers that work with TJ brake lines!

Left - RBP4422056M
Right - RBP4422057M

1 - 16 of 16 Posts