Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to replace my automatic hubs in my 85 K5, does anyone have any reccomendations on some manual locking hubs that would be a decent replacement. I don't do any hardcore off-road, but I like to be able to use 4-Wheel drive when needed. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
My choices in order of preference:
1. Warn
2. Superwinch
3. No third choice other than to say Milemarker hubs are JUNK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was def. thinking of Warn hubs. Is it difficult to replace autmatic hubs with manual?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
They are simple to replace. Check ebay for good deals on both warn, superwinch and milemarker.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Your drive flange comes off and the hub goes on. Very simple swap don't worry. Check the vendors on here or watch e-bay

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
save a little bit of coin by getting the regular warns and not the premiums.

the outer retaining ring can be a bitch, but if it takes more than an hour to do both, you might be sloth.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
trkklr77 said:
save a little bit of coin by getting the regular warns and not the premiums.

the outer retaining ring can be a bitch, but if it takes more than an hour to do both, you might be sloth.

Is there a big strength difference between the reg and premiums? I'm not into the "fuse" theory myself. Some say that you go reg so they break before anything else in the drivetrain. I just want nothing to break. Big price difference though. Be nice to save the $$$ and still have decent strength.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked up the 9790 Warn Hubs, and to do a swap, I need the additional Nut spindle kit, which amazingly enough, I haven't found yet. Go figure. The standard hubs are only 60 bucks though, and probably all I need in terms of performance.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
Brink_ said:
Is there a big strength difference between the reg and premiums? I'm not into the "fuse" theory myself. Some say that you go reg so they break before anything else in the drivetrain. I just want nothing to break. Big price difference though. Be nice to save the $$$ and still have decent strength.

cant really say about the strength in real life, they are advertised a stronger though, ive only had the premi's. they do have a better dial, 3/4 turn as opposed to 1/4 turn.

what spindle nut kit, you should not need any other parts.
edit: i went to warn, they say you need it for everything from 69-87, you dont!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts