Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79 Ford RC Dana 60

started putting my spindles, and hubs together last night and think i ran into a problem....

have the spindles done and hubs put on all seals and bearings in place and spindle nuts torqued down.

i was looking at the diagram of the drive flange setup and see that the next thing that go on are the spring retainers, springs, drive flange, axle slid in and clipped then a dust cover installed.

my front end came with locking hubs and i dont have the springs or spring retainers.... so i went to ford, chevy parts houses and asked for these parts... they are discontinued..... now what ???

do i need the springs and retainers ???

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
redruM said:
do i need the springs and retainers ???
Nah, shove em in there and put the clips on. The springs are in there to help you disassemble them and to hold the stub seals against the spindles. They'll work sans springs

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The main reason for the spring is to keep the bull gear from riding against the spindle. If you can't get a set for a 60, just use the spring from a 44, either from a bull gear or ford style lock out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On the assembly, the spring rides in a cup to keep it out of the bearing, and centered in the hub. I have never tried using D44 springs, but if you do, make sure it will turn with the hub, and wont gaul on the spindle nuts.

Have you tried getting them from a Spicer Dealer. If you PM me I will give you a # who can get all the hard to find spicer parts.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay if you "shove them in there" the slug will ride on the outter spindle nut, and the axle will flop arround in and out about 3/8"

Dana 44 stuff will not work (spring retainer) will sit on the spindle nut. and the spring will not fit over the spindle nut

????????

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i figured out how to make a makeshift spring retainer out of the old set of wheel bearing races but i still need springs any ideas ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts