Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering was the laws were regarding bear and deer hunting on the rubicon. I am a licensed California hunter and I bear tag that is valid throughout California. The Rubicon is a D5 zone and bear and deer season open on sept. 25. There does not seem to be a shortage of bears on the con so I was wondering if anyone had any info. I am aware that you can't hunt over bait(including your own food), you can't hunt at night, your dogs can't have a tree locater device thingy and you are not supposed to shoot bears that are less than 50 lbs or mamas that have cubs with them.
Thank you for you replies,
Will

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I'm not sure about the laws for shooting in the area but there are tons of people around and it seems like a risky place to hunt.

Shooting up there was discussed here. I hope that helps.

Edit: Walnut Creek pffft. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Recreational Shooting on the Con is generally frowned upon due to the concentraion of people and possibility for riccochet's. I have no idea on the legalities of it but the Rubicon is popularly considered a recreational area for offroading and hiking. Just doesn't seem like a good idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You might also run in to a problem with the ? Rubicon is a county road, and is in the middle of a wilderness area i beleive.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Why would you want to shoot a Bear? The meat isn't very good :barf:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never ate bear meat before so I would like to judge it for myself and the pelt would look nice on my living floor with my naked girlfriend streched out on it. I thought the meadows right after the granite bowl were the only restricted widlife areas, the rest is National Forest if I am not mistaken. Obviously hunting within 150 yards of the trail is a bad idea, safety is always my primary concern when handling firearms.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Rubicrawler said:
Why would you want to shoot a Bear? The meat isn't very good :barf:
Actually the Bear stew i've tried was pretty darn good

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Bear sausage and pepper sticks is awsome as well....my friends and I have killed a couple black bear, but not in Cali. and they were pear fed!

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Big Rich said:
Actually the Bear stew i've tried was pretty darn good
What I had you couldn't eat :barf: But that may just have been how it was handled after the kill.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
There will be no eating BEARS!! :flipoff2:

Really though, the rubicon is allways populated and there are thousands of other places you could hunt without endangering people.
Sounds like a bad idea to me.

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Get a DFG map and look for yourself.
It will tell you if it's legal or not.
It won't tell you if it's a good idea or not.

Having said that, it's a big area. If it's leagal you should have no problem getting off the beaten path and not be in anyones way or put them in harms way either.

Remember what hunting is about. It's no fun shooting Ducks in a barrel. (or bears)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have hunted the area numerious times and haven't had problems, but the trail is strickly a means of access you should not road hunt from it. I use it to gain access to the remote areas near the wilderness area. For bears, there are better areas near nevada county to go. To much traffic in the con which cause problems in finding a bear. talk to the DFG biologist in rancho for advise he is helpful

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
I don't know what zone it is, but the area around Fallen Leaf lake has the biggest bear population I've seen

Rich

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The area is D5 Yes it is national Forest so you could hunt their However. IT IS POPULATED.Their are allot of other places in the area that are much better hunting. Peavine Ridge is awsom, Mosquito ridge, Rock Creek. Best to stay away from people. The deer and bear do. PS Bear sausage is the next best thing to Elk. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
244 Posts
based on the responses here I thinkits a good idea to remember that we do share the forest and the trails with other groups ie hunters.. so we should be aware of our safety and maybe wear some hunter safety orange while we are in the woods during hunting season... I have seen people hiking off trail during deer season or just parked in the trees and bushes for shade and totally unaware that a guy in a hunting stand is only yards away.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Please tell me you kidding .....

With the amount of people up there nowadays, its just not responsible to hunt near that area. Not to mention, you never know what rogue trails jacka$$'s are on.

I am a d3-5 tag holder myself and enjoy 4 wheeling, I agree that they both go together quite well, but in the correct places. I am not willing to take my chances in that area, D3-5 is a very big area, their are lots of safer places.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a tag too.. i only mention the orange thing because i do not trust most of the hunters, in the over the counter tag zones. 30,000 + tags for the d3-5 area for a four week period. that is alot of hunters

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
wheelinwillie said:
[...]and the pelt would look nice on my living floor with my naked girlfriend streched out on it.
pics when you get them! :flipoff2:

I think a lot of people here think that you'll be shooting from the road or towards the road...and without checking your backdrop. Just keep it safe and as long as you can legally hunt there, I say go for it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah. Please tell me you are kidding.... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts