Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So can I put a dryer vent periscope in the wall, down through the crawlspace and connect a rigid 4" pipe to it. Then route it outside the wall?

I haven't seen a periscope used for this. Is it kosher?

My dryer is on an interior wall... Needs to be vented outside somehow and I don't want to go through the attic.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's kosher.....we use them all the time. Keep the run short and don't use a shit plastic sidewall cover. Like said before keep bends to a minimum. Also don't be a retard
Ike most carpenters and use screws on the pipe...tape only

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's kosher.....we use them all the time. Keep the run short and don't use a shit plastic sidewall cover. Like said before keep bends to a minimum. Also don't be a retard
Ike most carpenters and use screws on the pipe...tape only
:laughing:

Yah, no screws. Once I am through the floor it's like 6 feet to the outside.

I'll post a couple pics after I cut it in, might be easier to follow...

·
Registered
68 Posts
In the area I worked in, the calculation was 25' total of pipe. And each 90 degree elbow was 5' equivalent feet. I have always tried to keep mine under 20' and have had no issues with the houses I worked on. No screws and taped seams are a must. I would look and see what the code is for your municipality(IMC,UMC) and go from there. The longer the piping the more chance you will have issues down the road especially with some of the HE front loaders.

·
Window Licker
14,785 Posts
I had to do a floor vent (in to the crawl space and then outside) when I bought my current house because there was no way to get my front loaders in place and make any kind of wall vent. I only have one 90 after it goes through the flood and the floor kit may have added a 90 inside the machine. I've noticed that I can't load it up as much as I could at my old place, which went 90 from the back of the machine and about 4' to the outside wall. If I put too big of a load in it, it will just shut down after a few minutes, presumably from getting too hot. It hasn't been that big of a deal, I just occasionally have to break a washer load on to two drier loads.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I had to do a floor vent (in to the crawl space and then outside) when I bought my current house because there was no way to get my front loaders in place and make any kind of wall vent. I only have one 90 after it goes through the flood and the floor kit may have added a 90 inside the machine. I've noticed that I can't load it up as much as I could at my old place, which went 90 from the back of the machine and about 4' to the outside wall. If I put too big of a load in it, it will just shut down after a few minutes, presumably from getting too hot. It hasn't been that big of a deal, I just occasionally have to break a washer load on to two drier loads.
My dryer started shutting down just the past few months. Through floor ,90 then 14 ft straight out. Never had issues for 6 yrs. No screws,lint in the vent ,cleaned inside the dryer and still ocasionaly hit the thermal overload. What I found was the lint filter itself. We always rinsed it in hot water every once in awhile, but had noticed the water was not going through that well. I ended up spraying with brake cleaner and scrubbing with a nylon brush and blowing it out . Took several times doing this from both sides . We haven't been using the dryer sheet anymore, because that is what the filter felt like is the tacky wax type feeling of those sheets . So far clothes are dry and it can be stuffed. Bosch front load.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Just a reminder. I'm sure you know, but use a flap style sidewall vent, not a screened. I've seen it countless times.
I know why, but have a question

how do you keep critters out without a screen of some sort?

in the old location before I built a laundry room, the mice liked to commit suicide by entering the dryer vent, from which there was no escape. Kinda smelly. I ended up having to use chicken wire.

·
Premium Member
8,646 Posts
I've got a screened vent (opens about a foot off the ground,) with 3/8-1/2" openings and I have to clean the screen 3 or 4 times a year. A flap style won't accumulate the lint like a screen will. Properly installed, the flap style should keep critters out but it can't be allowed to push back into the house.

·
Premium Member
25,925 Posts
I know why, but have a question

how do you keep critters out without a screen of some sort?

in the old location before I built a laundry room, the mice liked to commit suicide by entering the dryer vent, from which there was no escape. Kinda smelly. I ended up having to use chicken wire.
At the last house I had to screen mine. I made a huge box similar to this one. It never got clogged because it was not close to the exit of the lint. I did all the piping in PVC and it never got dirty in the 7 years we were there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts