Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm building a custom dash in my XJ and I'm not ready to give up my A/C, but the few places I have found which sell ducting/vents seem to think they are made of gold! I mean, $15, $30, $75+ per vent?!? Are you kidding me?!

So, is there a site I have't found or a great donor people useorwhat? I'm going to need duct hose, unions, Y's, manifolds, and if possible, dampers and I'm looking for any tip/tricks/suggestions.

Thanks very much!
Billy

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
The nice dash vents are spendy for sure. My defrost setup that a friend made up for me is quite simple. It uses a Mojave heater with their ducts moved to the sides for floor heat and we made a new top piece for defrost. He used some 1.5" thin walled aluminum tube that I had bought online for intercooler piping. Vacuum hose also seemed like a good option if you have the room to run it out to dash ducts.

Quick pic from when we were mocking it all up

I had these in my favorites from when I was doing the same search
Street Rod Garage - Louvers and Vents

Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Replacement Parts for Hot Rod, Classic, & Vintage Cars/Trucks - Indash Louvers

·
Permanent Newb
2,892 Posts
When I went to a fiberglass dash, I found lots of good, cheap stuff at RV suppliers and e-bay.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Have been thinking on this often but only place I thought of was home depot. PVC and dryer vent stuff. I realized it would wind me up in the ghetto fab:flipoff2: section if anyone saw it so I stopped. sub'd

You could look under the dash of cars in the junkyard. I seen somewhere that they used flex hose. Also trying calling kurt at DIY4X to see where he gets his stuff for the dashes

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I thought I would add in what I have found out so far... Which isn't much! I went to Pick-N-Pull to see what could be used for donors... I left depressed! Every vehicle I looked at either had a strange shape/size where the duct hose connected to the louver or the dash was such weird shape that the vents wouldn't look right without the funky contour. So, I've pretty much come to terms with buying louvers and defrost vents, which seem to ALWAYS be built into the dash... And then I just have ducting and splitters, etc.

The aftermarket A/C guys seem to have hot rod and classic car budgets in mind for sure; I think the RV parts supplier suggestion is going to be the ticket. I actually worked at an RV parts department for a few years and we did have all sorts of parts I could use. I would love to hear more ideas of what others have done in the meantime and I'll try to keep you all posted (since there's very little out there on the topic).

Thanks,
Billy

·
Registered
355 Posts
You looking for round or rectangular vents. I build ambulances for a living and we use both. Ill look tomorrow and see who our supplier is.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You looking for round or rectangular vents. I build ambulances for a living and we use both. Ill look tomorrow and see who our supplier is.
Thanks for chiming in! I would really like rectangular ones (two in the middle, one more on each side of the dash and two more in the back side of the center console. Any info or onsite is much appreciated!!
Thanks again!
Billy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts