Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried searching but i didnt have much help. <IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0">

hybrids using D60 knuckles whats doing on out there anybody document their hybrid? im really more interested in what was used and why you chose it than the step by step of getting it together.

portal hybrids anybody got those documented?im not interested in the highmark im not going to be buying one but i also dont understand why they put the ujoint after the reduction, anybody know?

highmrk info

yes i know for portals i could just get 404 MOG but they have other undesirable issues for me. (wheels, brakes, gears).

mine is a daily driver and i hope to keep it that way so parts availability is a major concern and as you probably guessed since im asking about hybrids and portals i want all the clearance i can get and keep the weight low but still have good daily reliablity being locked on 35+" tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by JEEP_TJ_FREAK:
<STRONG>portal hybrids anybody got those documented?im not interested in the highmark im not going to be buying one but i also dont understand why they put the ujoint after the reduction, anybody know?
</STRONG>
Putting the reduction outboard would increase the scrub radius (the distance from the center of the tire to the steering axis)by quite a bit. This would cause severe clearance problems as the tire would move forward and rearward as you turned. Not sure how it affects handleing, but I'm sure it would have negative reprecussions as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Makes it really hard to turn, too.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you much Camo and BBrianR

Brian i think you have exactly what i was looking for, have you had any issues from your sheet metal fill job to accout for the tube od differences? i though that might be the way to go but i was also worried about the strength of that setup welding on the inside had not come to me yet, looks like a sweet setup to me. how long have you been running it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Originally posted by camo:
<STRONG>i am running the www.allprooffroad.com/d60.html toyota dana 60 hybred front end. why? ground clearnce, cost, strength.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: camo ]</STRONG>
Jerry Bruce of Farmington is running a hy-bred 9" in the front of his stretched YJ ... for all the same reasons ...
He's pulled his rig apart to install coils and to chop it for weight reduction to be more ARCA competitive but he's keeping the axel ... loves it ...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Originally posted by JEEP_TJ_FREAK:
<STRONG>thank you much Camo and BBrianR

Brian i think you have exactly what i was looking for, have you had any issues from your sheet metal fill job to accout for the tube od differences? i though that might be the way to go but i was also worried about the strength of that setup welding on the inside had not come to me yet, looks like a sweet setup to me. how long have you been running it?</STRONG>
The sheetmetal was only used to take up the difference between the 3" tubes and the 3 1/4" housing. It was 1/16" thick sheet metal wrapped around the tube to make up the difference.
Inside, the tubes extend up to the carrier sides. These same tubs are welded inside to the housing. So strength was not a issue. Plus, the housing was drilled in a few spots to retain the small piece of sheetmetal.
To finish it off, I installed the gusset to ensure the strength and true of the house.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
dude! since youve already got the CAD design and the experience, how much to build me one of those??? just the housing only, no hubs, etc. that is one hell of a nice piece of work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Originally posted by Junk Collector:
<STRONG>dude! since youve already got the CAD design and the experience, how much to build me one of those??? just the housing only, no hubs, etc. that is one hell of a nice piece of work!</STRONG>
e-mail me for more info. I have another D60F housing sitting around and a couple 9"'s. I might be able to put toghether one.

B
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top