Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 9" ford front end for my zuk and it has dana 44 outer knuckles on it.
Should I set the caster at the stock zuk caster of 3-1/2 deg's or the dana 44 caster of 7 deg's

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You will want to keep the castor the same as it was on the donor vehicle. It's an axle thing :D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tusker said:
You will want to keep the castor the same as it was on the donor vehicle. It's an axle thing :D

OK, why is that? D44 axles came with everything from 0* to 7* or so caster.
What is the reason?
Whats this 'its an axle thing'?

I really would like to know, not trying to be an smart a$$.

OH, yea and POST PICS! E-mail me if you need them posted. :D

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
What I meant by the "axle thing" was that the castor is axle dependent and not vehicle dependent. The correct castor for any specific axle is the castor that was set at the factory. If you change the factory castor of the axle, you change steering input geometry (and it doesn't take much). So, it really doesn't matter what vehcile it is going on; the factory castor for the recipient vehicle shouldn't really have any bearing on the setup for the donor axle on the new vehicle.

That being said, don't forget about differences in suspension geometery. If your spring perches are angled differently (between the donor vehicle and the new vehicle), you will want to take that into consideration. The best way to do this is to bolt the new axle under the vehicle and set the correct castor at the knuckles before welding them up.

Anyway, I don't claim to be any 'expert', but every time I have seen someone change the factory castor on an axle they seem to complain about poor steering, death wobble, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts