Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I did search for 2 hours and did not find a topic pertaining to this particular question. I am planning to build a hybrid pack. I have a set of stock rears and a set of stock YJ rears with two additional leaves to stiffen the PO's spring over. I am curious if anyone has done this setup and which leaves from each pack make for the best overall pack. I'm not looking to get tons of lift out of this setup, just a couple of inches and some killer flex. Flame if you want, but I did search extensively.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
take the three toy rears(the pack minus the overload) then take the bottom 3 outta the jeep packs staple them together with a fresh center pin--*BAM* instant awesome....

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
You may have thought about this already, but to you realize the 2 spring packs are different widths?

I used the rear main leaf and 2 leafs from a 3" lift pack. Along with 2" longer shackles. It gave me about 4" lift. But obviously you dont have the same springs to work with.

I wouldnt use YJs, they are to flat to begin with. But that is just a personal opinion. They may work for you...

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Booger, that's what I'm looking for. Not sure about the packs being flat Benny, this set has adecent arc, maybe it's the extra leaves.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Here is what I run on mine:
top main leaf stock 2 wd 84-88 Toyota rear
2nd mil wrap stock 2 wd 84-88 Toyota rear
3rd trimmed mil wrap leaf from 4x rear 19" from spring pin
front, 24" rear of pin
4th trimmed leaf from 4x rear 18" from spring pin front,
22" rear of pin
5th trimmed 3rd leaf from 2 wd rear 14" from spring pin
front, 19" rear of pin
6th trimmed leaf from 4x rear 8" from spring pin front,
11" rear of pin

These flex like nuts and can carry the weight of a winch or plow but still flex well. Gives about 4" of lift.
Can do the same with rear 4x leafs but will need some lift leaves from an aftermarket supplier cause they only give you about an inch of lift and NO load carrying capacity.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I run 3 toys with the bottom 3 from a 4" lift yj spring. 4-5 lift and flex great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just play with them, throw some leaves in, set the rig on the ground and see where it sits, then go test them and adjust. If you think there's room for improvement then take them back out again and play with more leaves. I'm about to redo my springs again, and I have a general idea of what I want, but it's just going to take some playing around.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help so far. By the way, I just got rid of the 'Cruiser and picked up a mini so it will be on an '83. So far I am leaning towards Booger's setup because I already have all the leaves to do it and no added cost of buying aftermarket lift springs. Thanks and keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
986 Posts
overeasy said:
I run 3 toys with the bottom 3 from a 4" lift yj spring. 4-5 lift and flex great.

so does my buddie.. he has the exact same setup:eek:

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Benny said:
You may have thought about this already, but to you realize the 2 spring packs are different widths?

yea what about that? not that big a difference or who cares bolt it together and go?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
my top leaves are 6mm, bottom 3 are 7mm.....my factory f250 springs have a thicker main then the rest of the pack as well...who cares....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts