Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Really? You want to spend $20 for someone to send plans to you on how to build that?

Yeah, ok.

How about just search and do your homework and build your own from your own design. Honestly it ain't that hard to do.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
11 GPM 2 STAGE HYD PUMP

+

5 HP SPECIAL DUTY 230 VAC 3450 RPM LEESON AIR COMPRESSOR MOTOR

+

20 GPM 1 SPOOL SPEECO LOG SPLITTER VALVE

+

1/2" L-090 JAW COUPLING HALF

+

5/8" L-090 JAW COUPLING HALF

+

BUNA-N INSERT FOR L-090 JAW COUPLING

+

3 GALLON HYDRAULIC RESERVOIR / TANK

+

Some hoses.

There's your plans!

Actually I'd make the reservoir so that the whole thing could be mounted vertically and then mount it onto a HF hand cart.

It has been discussed on here before.
Holy shit man, what are you powering with that? 5 hp motor? 11 gpm pump? :laughing:

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I can't put my finger on it... but I could have sworn we had a thread with parts listed out by someone I know.... hmmm who could it be :flipoff2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There's your plans!

Actually I'd make the reservoir so that the whole thing could be mounted vertically and then mount it onto a HF hand cart.

It has been discussed on here before.
Thanks. I've seen several posts. but none seemed to spell it out bluntly. I don't know shit bout hydraulics. tryin to get away from the air over hyd stuff for my tube bender and future swag brake. same motor thats on my air compressor too. be nice to have a back up if it fried

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have bought several industrial hydraulic power units off CL or the scrapyard for cheap. $100 or so.

They really aren't worth much since they are designed for a specific purpose, pressure, flow, valves, etc,, but usually the tank, filter adapter, pressure relief, motor (if single phase or if you have 3 phase) can be re purposed and save a lot of fab time and money.

I find most are setup for low pressure and high volume,,, the opposite of what you what for most shop uses.

Find a 3-5hp version and you can power everything from a big shop press to a serious wood splitter.

My broaching press and tubing bender are only 1hp, because I wanted high pressure but slow movement to screw up less.

You can also use the same tank and put both a high and low hp system on it.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Saginaw P-pump, free CL treadmill or table saw motor, $20 worth of couplings $5 of hardware and use some scrap steel to build the mounts.

I still say a walmart electric pressure washer would work.
I'm really temped to try this. At most it would be an exercise in reassembling a pump with the right seals and O rings for the stuff being pumped

·
Registered
278 Posts
Saginaw P-pump, free CL treadmill or table saw motor, $20 worth of couplings $5 of hardware and use some scrap steel to build the mounts.
Power steering pumps typically operate at 1200 psi or so. Not very efficient when most cylinders are rated for 2500-3000 psi.

You can buy brand new dynamic gear type pumps for about $100 with the desired flow.
Monkeying about trying to use a PS pump, v belt, etc,, in my opinion is a waste of time.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts

I'm really temped to try this. At most it would be an exercise in reassembling a pump with the right seals and O rings for the stuff being pumped
I dunno, I'd venture to guess that any seals and metal parts that can withstand corrosion from water might be okay with hydraulic oil. I'd think it would work as is, maybe

As far as a power steering pump goes, you can bypass the flow control valve then shim the pressure relief to get a pretty high flow and pressure pump.

I lot of people take the published GPM as the GPM of the pump, not realizing that it's a positive displacement pump so to get a constant GPM it must be oversized then controlled with a flow control valve to reduce flow as speed goes up. A pump that makes 2gpm at idle will make 12gpm at 3600rpm with the control valve removed.
They can also take a lot more pressure, it's regulated to protect the box.

I was part of building a log splitter using a PS pump years ago and we bypassed the flow control valve in the pump and it worked great, plenty of flow for a 4" cylinder.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
I dunno, I'd venture to guess that any seals and metal parts that can withstand corrosion from water might be okay with hydraulic oil. I'd think it would work as is, maybe

As far as a power steering pump goes, you can bypass the flow control valve then shim the pressure relief to get a pretty high flow and pressure pump.

I lot of people take the published GPM as the GPM of the pump, not realizing that it's a positive displacement pump so to get a constant GPM it must be oversized then controlled with a flow control valve to reduce flow as speed goes up. A pump that makes 2gpm at idle will make 12gpm at 3600rpm with the control valve removed.
They can also take a lot more pressure, it's regulated to protect the box.
I never knew they were positive displacement. So since P pumps are positive displacement can I use one as a cooling pump that has to draw from a reservoir that's mounted lower than it?

I was part of building a log splitter using a PS pump years ago and we bypassed the flow control valve in the pump and it worked great, plenty of flow for a 4" cylinder.

There's a thread on doing just that that I was gonna cite. Might even be the same splitter.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
I never knew they were positive displacement. So since P pumps are positive displacement can I use one as a cooling pump that has to draw from a reservoir that's mounted lower than it?

There's a thread on doing just that that I was gonna cite. Might even be the same splitter.
Not sure about using it to draft, it's a vane type pump so it might do it, but if there is a leak and it gets air if might burn it up. They are almost always setup flooded suction.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
11 GPM 2 STAGE HYD PUMP

Then it kicks down to the 2nd stage and makes 2800 psi.
Usually 4:1.
Yup.

It'll hit 3000 psi according to the gauge I have on there. with my 6" dia cylinder that's right at 42 tons of pressing force.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yup.

It'll hit 3000 psi according to the gauge I have on there. with my 6" dia cylinder that's right at 42 tons of pressing force.
Gotta love the power of hydraulics!

I am gathering up the material for my mega press.
Got the 8 1/4" bore cylinder rebuilt, slightly shortened to a 12inch stroke, a massive 17" square x 2.5" thick plate welded down at the gland end, and the rod end cut off, bored and threaded for attachments.
Have the uprights, legs and am now looking for some 1 1/4" x 18" x 64" plate for the beams.

Going to be stout.
The hyro guy that rebuilt the cylinder (wouldn't fit in my lathe) said with the 3/4" thick walls it could probably go to 5000 psi.

At 3500 psi that 99.25 tons. Should be plenty. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts