Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building my hydro assist on my cherokee and have a question about cylinder stroke. I used a 2" bore 8" stroke welded Prince cylinder, my problem is I only needed 7" of stroke so the extra 1" is pushing hard on my drag link and bending it. When I turn to the right the cylinder is fully compressed when it hits my steering stop, when I turn back to the left it hits the stop then tries to push it past. How do I fix this? shorten the cylinder stroke or split the 1" extra stroke on each side? By the way I am using a Dana 44 front and have hysteer and heavy duty drag link, the steering stops are the factory ones. Thanks

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
What yu need to do is set up your assist ram to where the ram bottoms out (all the way collapsed) when the knuckle hits the stops. This will leave all the extra stroke on the ram on the extended side. Then measure how much extra stroke you have in the ram and put a spacer on the shaft side of the ram (inside the housing) to take up the extra travel.
If you don't do this you will end up powering against the stops when turning and sooner or later something is going to :nuke:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The butt end of the cylinder is mounted to the axle housing, and the ram end to the drag link. I am limited on space, it is mounted behind the drag link and in front of the axle housing, I built the axle mount so that it was half on the tube on half on the cast housing, then the ram end ended up all the way out by my drivers side tie rod end. My question is should I be concerned with the extra travel my cylinder has that I dont need? sorry I cant post pics yet! I hope I explained this right

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Yes, you should be concerned.
If the steering travel ends before the assist ram travel does, you could in fact use the extra travel of the assist ram to power against the steering stops. You might not intend to but you will. This is bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about putting a spacer on the ram in between the piston and the cap but didnt know if I really needed to. Sounds like I should fix the problem. When I fired up my engine last night and turned the wheel for the first time it about tore my hand off, the wheel just spun all the way one way really fast. I switched the hoses now it works great. Do I need to worry about increasing the resevoir size on my pump? I will be running one of those dual circuit coolers from perma-cool that have four conections, will cool both my tranny and power steering, it has a electric fan built on it, thought that was cool for $150. I filled the resevoir about 2" down from top with the cylinder compressed so the rod would displace the fliud, then I turned so cyl. was extened and still had oil about 1" deep inside, is that good enough? My jeep is a 77' cherokee with AMC 360,th400,dana 20, dana 44's
The steering didnt seem to be slowed down at all. I think this size of cylinder is fine, just my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts